Off The Stones

Luke K

Good evening all,

Well what a weekend!

I decided to venture out on the stones this weekend, spinning some metals at one of my many favourite Sydney rock ledges.

Day 1

Arrived at the stones at about 6.30am to meet with fellow raider . We were met with a stiff and chilly nor wester, the sort of stuff that brings even the toughest of fishos to their knees. Or maybe I'm just a bit soft. A hot cup of coffee and some fishing gloves would have made for the perfect remedy and of course we had neither. We decided to target some pelagics that have been hanging around recently, but they seemed to have disappeared. My mate spun up a large pike just before 7 am and I thought you beauty, now there's a perfect kingy bait. Unfortunately I was a little unprepared for live baiting but I decided to take a risk. I put my 7000 bannax loaded with 60lb stren and 80bl saltiga leader and put it straight on my land based spin stick(10ft glass 8wrap) I didn't have any floats or ballons so I just tied my leader straight to the hook and attatched the pike just above the dorsal. Thirty seconds after the pike hits the water, I'm on and then seconds later I'm off again. I wind in the pike to find the fins are roughed up and scales have been removed, but it was still alive so I through it straight back out and within seconds I'm back on again. This time I locked up and the bannax started screaming. Almost certain to be a king, the fish ran me about a hundred metres up the ledge but this fish was determined and proved unstoppable. Pop goes the weasle and I'm gutted to say the least. Oh well what do you do hey, you just keep fishing. And that's what we did for the next hour without success. We packed up at 8am and went home but we got some great pics of the scenery.

Day 2

We decided to go to the same ledge again but this time we had 2 extra buddies. With the four of us spinning metals we were able to create a mock feeding frenzy. We started spinning at about 615am but once again things were pretty quiet on the pelagic front. At about 645 on of the guys hooks onto a pike and I instantly thought, ah revenge time. I went back to where we had the gear stored and started to set up my outfit. Now I know this is going to sound foolish but I used the same set up as yesterday with the same rod and reel except this time I had a float with me. You see I just don't have a proper land based game out fit yet. But let me tell you, that after my experience today, it's the next thing on my shopping list. Anyway just as I got back out to the ledge my mate had caught a pike also. His version was a lot smaller than the first. It was a lolly pop. So I decided to throw it out first. I was on within a minute but it was to a squid and it killed the pike as they do. And you guessed it, I didn't have a squid jig damm it. Oh well I put the other oversize pike on and hoped for the best that it would not get mauled by another sqiud. Well within five minutes of it being in the water, it got hammered and I'm on big time and I even got a photo to prove it, but the photo with the bend in the rod is about the only memory I have as this fish decided to be camera shy and it took off. Another unstoppable. My mate got another pike moments after I was busted off. So on it went out into the deep blue and you guessed it, moments latter I'm on again. The fish went straight down and the line went slack, so I wound in the slack and I felt wait again. This fish was coming straight toward me. I could hardly wind in the line fast enough just as the fish decided to turn it's head. And that was the end of it except this time I pulled the hook. Shattered and guttered is all I can tell you, but I now have a motivation to

get a proper land based game out fit.

cheers

Edited by Luderick Luke

ahah awsome repot i can relate to this story when i first started targeting kings and not changing leaders after cathing one whic of cause left me with a pb swimming away from the boat. still get nightmares :thumbdown::mad3:

my best advise is to get a overhead reel with 24kg line and 80lb leader and try to steer the fish away from structure and keep at it and u will be rewarded!! :1fishing1:

What a great read........Pity about taking a knife to a gun fight :074: I have been doing LB lately and Im in the same boat. Just upgraded to 30lb mono and 60lb leader off a 12' 6" surf caster. Now.............. where is that big kingie? :drool:

Shame about the biggies getting off both days! :1badmood: What an amazing couple of day's action tho! :1yikes:

You know the bait & fish are there ........ bet we know where you'll be going next weekend! ;)

Good luck & take care out there!!

Roberta

That's my plan

Great report and pics.

Unlucky about losing the kings.

I'm sure when you get some 24KG LBG gear

you'll have a much better shot at them.

I'd love to give up the location but I,ve got to get one of those residents first :1prop:

hardluck on the fish maybe next time where abouts r these photos from i spin off the rocks for kings a fair bit but never seen tht spot

Hi Roberta,

Your'e right on the money, that is exactly where I will be next weekend but hopefully I will have some better amunition

Shame about the biggies getting off both days! :1badmood: What an amazing couple of day's action tho! :1yikes:

You know the bait & fish are there ........ bet we know where you'll be going next weekend! ;)

Good luck & take care out there!!

Roberta

Thats one hairy looking spot. A real thrill in any sort of sea I am sure. Rather than going heavy on the kings try a light drag and get them to head out onto the sand, if you keep the drag light enough they will not be able to rub you off, bring em back in 30 mins later and you will have a better chance. The only king over 10kg I have seen strong armed from the rocks was gaffed as it hit the bait. Try softly, softly.

Of course heavy handed makes for better bust ups, great to watch so long as it is someone else loosing the fish.

Lovely looking pig water there BTW.

David

Edited by southerly

HI luke,

sounds like you had fun. dont mean to be a pain but in future can you not post photos of the ledge. There are now a whole bunch of people that are heaaded down there over the next few days so dont be suprised if you get a dozen people there on the weekend.

good luck in the future and hope you get one sometime.

cheers

the dude

PS: not sure how well you know the ledge but there are a heap of grey nurse that live in that area so just be careful your not hooking them, thinking they are kings (i did exactly that a few years ago.)

HI luke,

sounds like you had fun. dont mean to be a pain but in future can you not post photos of the ledge. There are now a whole bunch of people that are heaaded down there over the next few days so dont be suprised if you get a dozen people there on the weekend.

good luck in the future and hope you get one sometime.

cheers

the dude

PS: not sure how well you know the ledge but there are a heap of grey nurse that live in that area so just be careful your not hooking them, thinking they are kings (i did exactly that a few years ago.)

Seriously,

he's within his rights to post a pic I have done so on other forums many a time showing a ledge or two. That ledge i fished more times than. On that ledge i have caught more blackies than you can poke a stick at pick or no pic i have fished it with over a dozen blackie fishos some waiting a turn to get a float in. My only concern is the in experienced going down there and going in!

Seriously,

he's within his rights to post a pic I have done so on other forums many a time showing a ledge or two. That ledge i fished more times than. On that ledge i have caught more blackies than you can poke a stick at pick or no pic i have fished it with over a dozen blackie fishos some waiting a turn to get a float in. My only concern is the in experienced going down there and going in!

I agree. Please put the pics back up, they were great.

Well you are being a pain and dont come on here with your first post trying to put a dampener on a great read and exciting trip.

Put the pics back up Luke .

Regards Admin

well said Swordy,

they were fantastic shots straight out of the 70's genre, still reminiscing and missing them! :1prop:

And guys if do your research it's quite an easy spot to pick that ledge but as i sais it is quite a dicey spot in any swell as you need to cross a semi exposed reef to get at it and on a rising tide you can get caught out, if any one has ever fished Althouse or Long Reef you will know what i mean! Luke get em back up i think the majority has worked out where it is now!