More Winter Lizards

pmak

Slightly late report from the past school holidays.

Took the family up to Lake Maquarie last week to relax and spend quality time with my wife and kids. Took the boat up but was not expecting to go out much due to the forecast high winds. It was hard being so close to water and not go for a fish so I ended up fishing everyday mainly in sheltered bays where we could get out of the wind.

Our second day was the most eventful where I picked up a 55cm flattie just to one side of Shingle Splitters Point after many hours of unrewarded casts. No. 1 son wakes up to check out the commotion (he can sleep anywhere) and decides to fish where he trumped me with a 67cm model :1yikes:

post-3388-1248864837_thumb.jpg

He's beaten my PB twice over now :mad3:

Both flatties and another 60cm one the day before were taken on Stimulate Slam 3" grubs which I'm finding quite succesfull on flatties lately. Mixed in with 3" gulp grubs in the same area with the same action, the Slam baits seem to do better.

We fished in the afternoon on our last day for not a touch for many hours until No 2 son spotted a squid following one of our lures. Out go the squid jigs where No. 2 son was rewarded with his first squid ever. He was so happy as he's had so many unsuccesful attempts before.

post-3388-1248865319_thumb.jpg

Light was fading fast so we got back to the ramp and enjoyed the beautiful colours of the sunset on the lake.

post-3388-1248865402_thumb.jpg

Overall, fishing was hard but quality fish made up for the effort we had to put in. Might head back there in summer for more ....