Daiwa Saltiga Surf Rods

abecedarian

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Daiwa Saltiga surf rods? I've found one going cheap and am very tempted to get it. It's an 11ft (about a foot or two shorter than I'd like ideally...), 15-30lb two piece stick I'd be matching with a twinpower 4000. Is it worth sacrificing that extra foot of length for a good deal???

Cheers!

Edited by abecedarian

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Daiwa Saltiga surf rods? I've found one going cheap and am very tempted to get it. It's an 11ft (about a foot or two shorter than I'd like ideally...), 15-30lb two piece stick I'd be matching with a twinpower 4000. Is it worth sacrificing that extra foot of length for a good deal???

Cheers!

Hi,

i bought and used one last year and found them to be very good! a little stiff but that's expected as the rating is 15-30lb. it casts really nicely and when hook up to say a decent 3 kg salmon, it would really give the salmon a hard time! i found that the salmon had no chance lol.

it would probably show its tru potential if hooked onto a big mulloway or shark of some sort. in short, 11' is plenty and casts with no problem! very light stick for a surf rod and very powerful. i would think a twin power 6000 is more suit as the 4000 is a bit small.

hope that help.

......Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Daiwa Saltiga surf rods? I've found one going cheap and am very tempted to get it. It's an 11ft (about a foot or two shorter than I'd like ideally...), 15-30lb two piece stick I'd be matching with a twinpower 4000. Is it worth sacrificing that extra foot of length for a good deal???

Cheers!

Hi Abecedarian........The Saltist 11 foot surf rod at 15-30lb would be have a good backbone for your main beach or your rock fishing when using big live baits and tailed off slabs etc, and it would have more leverage holding fish away from structure such as corner rocks alongside a drop down off a beach, or holding big king fish away from pylons etc than most similiarly tapered longer beach rods at the same line rating...

However a 4000 reel is an understatement in terms of using it on a heavy rod such as a 10-50lb, and as live baiter mentions, it's a bit small for the rod.... Not so much in quality in the better 4000's, but in spool size for the line class needed and where more line length is required to tire the fish that the rod was designed for.....

The Saltist is nice and light by the sound of it, so I would run it with a 850 Penn spinfisher or better still a 950 Penn spinfisher which would give you a bigger spool and the 950 would take over 300 yards of 30lb mono....I flog the Penns for their excellent value and build strength and the more expensive reels are made to do a good job too wheras the Penns are more of a rough and ready low priced reliable workhorse...

If it were me I would put the 4000 on a snyder 7144 12' 7 wrap which are still avaible but running out now...The snyder 7144 is a very sporty rod for your general beach fishing and the 4000 twin power or even a 4500 baitrunner will suit school jewfish as well.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: