3 Out Of 6 Gauges Don't Work

wttmrwolf

Hi Folks,

Spent that better part of Wednesday night installing a Lowrance HDS-5. In the process of installing the sounder cables I came to understand how all the cables are routed from front to back.

Now I'm looking at doing other repairs to my boat.

I've surveyed the boat and found the following issues:

1. rev gauge doesn't work

2. speedo doesn't work

3. fuel level shows 3/4 full regardless of fuel level

The speedo should be pretty straight forward. I found an air hose that goes from a pickup at the back directly to the back of the gauge. When I unplug both ends its difficult to blow air down it so I'm assuming a new hose should fix it.

Fuel level is a bit tricky. The fuel level sensor in the top of the inbuilt tank has rusty screws. Taking these out could lead to disaster if I break the tank. Has anyone tried to repair the fuel level sensor?

And revs? Anyone know where to start? I'll be checking the Evinrude manual tonight to see if there is any reference to which cables send the rev signal.

Love to hear if anyone else has tried repairing gaugues in their boat.

BEn

Hi John,

Shame sensor polarity in reverse didn't save you fuel. I wouldn't mind coming back from every trip to find my tank full.

Were the screws in your sender rusty? What should I expect under the sensor if I do manage to remove the screws? Is there the option to put new nuts or are they welded to the tank?

Just not sure how hard I should attempt to remove old screws. Are they self taping screws?

I don't have the option of using any power tools!!!!!!!! Kabooom

Interested to hear what you found behind the sensor.

Ben

Hi Mrwolf ....If it were me and I had faulty guages that were older ones, I'd be looking at getting hold of new guages and kits so as to have a fresh start and a new look as well, otherwise, if the fault was in the kits on testing, I'd be considering buying the kits if they are available separate and if the guages were in good nic etc....Rather than trying to save a few bucks and spending time messing around with the complicated ones, I'd have them fitted by an electrician who does marine work, getting him to supply and fit something like a spotlight or a second battery etc to balance out the cost of the smaller jobs my way, as I've find it still works like that i.e. if you make him a cup of his own coffee and don't have one yourself that will take the focus off the jobs in hand, get what I mean Ben :D ..... Whilst do it yourself is the best way on easy boat fittings and the little things things that it's only natural that you do yourself and some with the help of a mate etc., and it's always best to keep your boat up to date anyway but compicated marine fittings and especially electronics really do need to be done properly the first time.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Ben, the speedo is easy and either the hose, gearcase pick-up or pitot is blocked and compressed air will clean them. The fuel gauge will most likely be the sender, but yes corrosion can cause bigger dramas. Be certian it is the sender first by shorting out the fuel gauge sender wires and seeing if the needle moves, but if goes to 3/4 on the gauge it most likely will be the sender. The Tacho wires on all Johnson/Evinrudes is grey and depending on model, the Tacho gets its signal from the rectiifer/regulator. If your batteries are not charging as well a good bet on this, if battery gets charged than most likely gauge. If you have a genuine manual all tests are in there and easy to diagonise what is at fault.

Cheers,

Huey.

Ben

2. speedo doesn't work

Not sure what motor your running but on the Yamaha there is a very small hole on the leading edge near the bottom of the leg.

It is not uncommon for the hole to become blocked.

If yours has a similar set up , locate the hole & using a pin or needle clear the hole. If the blockage , sand etc falls inside the leg , don't worry , no damage will be caused

Suggest this be checked prior to replacing the hose

Unless the plastic hose has a kink or twist it is very uncommon for the hose to become blocked

Geoff

like what huey said the check the rectiifer/regulator because since my batteries havn't been charging my rev gauge hasn't been working either. if you dont know what the rectifer is... its like the alternater of a car.

Wow, thanks Huey and others for great responses! Lots to try there.

* batteries are charging so I'll check the Evinrude manual and find that wire to check its sending signal.

* good idea re compressed air down speedo tube and blocked pickup, I have a compressor!

* good idea re shorting fuel gauge sender, if it needs replacing I'm calling the mechanic

I agree Jewgaffer calling in the pros good idea with electrical stuff. I'm an electrical engineer, just not familar with boat mechanics, this is my first boat.

Thanks again folks, you rock. I'll keep you posted.

Ben

Hi John,

Shame sensor polarity in reverse didn't save you fuel. I wouldn't mind coming back from every trip to find my tank full.

Were the screws in your sender rusty? What should I expect under the sensor if I do manage to remove the screws? Is there the option to put new nuts or are they welded to the tank?

Just not sure how hard I should attempt to remove old screws. Are they self taping screws?

I don't have the option of using any power tools!!!!!!!! Kabooom

Interested to hear what you found behind the sensor.

Ben

Screws were OK condition wise (self tappers from memory) just that the float on the sender had become detached this was the reason for replacing the unit. Sealed up the flange mounting with some thin gasket material and a smear of PEP gasket goo - when I finally got the right unit to put in.

John

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, just thought I'd update you all on the problem with my speedo gauge for future reference, I managed to close the tubing in its home position before it was cut and used araldite to close the tubing shut and form a closed seal,,,tested it out on the weekend and the gauge now works....cheers for your help....