Gars

Juzza

Where this is a pretty old report, but i decided to submit my record garfish into the records section since no one has taken it yet! Well, where to start. We were fishing along sand flats intertwined with weed in pittwater, with a bit of berly the yellowtail were boiling underneath as well an the LJs...

Surprising i saw a few other fish there which i couldnt seem to entice with my heavily rigged outfit and slightly bigger hooks. When they got close enough, sure enough they were identified as being gar (eastern sea gar), correct me if im wrong.

Well, after reading a quite a bit about them, out went the blackfish rig to catch a few of these tasty fish, it was almost like blackfish fishing again. Sitting back and looking at the float, waiting for a down...except i could see the gars take the bait. When they take the bait, they spin like mad! So much so, my 1m trace wraps around its beak! Massive tangles but they fish wont ever get away =]

Well, theres not much more to say, they were caught on prawns. blackfish rig and 6lb trace. Oh, except they were fantastic to eat! Beautiful white flesh. Ended up catching about 8 or so used a few for bait and manage to catch a tailor of about 50cm which was lost at the boat.

The biggest went 33cm, their beaks have been cut off for ease of transport just in case you were wondering why they're smaller.

Justin :1fishing1:

Edited by Juzza

the most simple and delicious garfish recipe (how my grandmother does it)...

1. Clean and wash garfish properly

2. deep fry in 'Zena' vegetable oil until just past golden brown (i think it may be a lebanese thing but im not sure)

3. salt.

they are delicious like this and the best thing is you can eat all parts of them, i know it sounds gross but when fried to a crisp like this, all you need to do is remove the spine in 1 piece and their ready to munch on..

the tail becomes a delicious fishy potato crisp.

yum..

or alternatively you could livebait them for some yummy kingfish.

the most simple and delicious garfish recipe (how my grandmother does it)...

1. Clean and wash garfish properly

2. deep fry in 'Zena' vegetable oil until just past golden brown (i think it may be a lebanese thing but im not sure)

3. salt.

they are delicious like this and the best thing is you can eat all parts of them, i know it sounds gross but when fried to a crisp like this, all you need to do is remove the spine in 1 piece and their ready to munch on..

the tail becomes a delicious fishy potato crisp.

yum..

or alternatively you could livebait them for some yummy kingfish.

David you're hilarious :074: but i think it is a lebanese thing cause that 's how my gran, mother and mother in law still do it and it tastes devine.

They also fry whiting and barbounia this way.

Cheers

Robert