Flint And Steel, West Head

bog6on

Nothing doing at flint and steel - I also had donut for two solid mornings' fishing recently, and no others were fishing onshore (they must have known better).

I'd like to know what hoodlum's using for bait, because I had not a nibble on beach worms, pillies, bread nor SP's.

There've been a few boats anchored about 50-100m off the point, but I've not seen anything come out of the water for them.

All I've been getting at West Head is Leather jackets lately. Nothing at Flint and steel, though around the corner in a little bay i got some chopper tailor on bait and SPs.

Gave that area a miss this wk and went offshore for much better results wide off Longy. Will post report when my offsider gives me my camera back with the pics.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I am heading up the coast on the weekend and am taking the tinnie out to fish near the marker (on the Patonga side of the west head) at Flint & Steel.

I have been there a few times over the last 6 weeks and keep getting squire using bait (pilchards, squid, and prawns) and the odd tailor trawling. I am getting into lures at the moment (new to fishing) and wanted to know if anyone had any advice for me. What is on, where are they, what type of lures work best etc, etc.

If you are coming out of the Hawksbury head over toward Patonga, a few hundred meters up from the point, out toward Lion Island, there's a big boulder on the shore, drift around there at varying distances from the shore flicking lures and you'll get a Flatty, I promise!