Unusual Flathead

james7

Question

This flathead was amongst the blue spotted flathead and the tiger flathead we caught last weekend.

(See the report "Beaut Day! - Some Big Flathead And A "fat" Shark ")

post-4381-1250652965_thumb.jpg

It's shape and size (about 50cm) was very similar to the blue spot flathead, however it had a distinct pink colouring and different patterns on the caudal and pectoral fins.

post-4381-1250652990_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1250653008_thumb.jpg

I actually found a picture identical to it in a fishing book, but the book didn't identify it. The closest thing I could find on the web was a "marbled flathead"?

Does anyone know what type of flathead it is?

Here's another photo of the caudal fin.

post-4381-1250653724_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

11 answers to this question

I cant help but think that flathead would more likely than not be cross breeding with different types.

That's an interesting idea Musty, but I don't think that is the case here. As I said before, I found a photo in a fishing book which is identical to this one, but it was just labelled "flathead".

Here are a couple more pictures.

The red circle shows the different pectoral fin colour and pattern compared to the blue spotted flathead

post-4381-1250658889_thumb.jpg

Also note the light pinkish spotted underbelly (white arrow)

post-4381-1250659047_thumb.jpg

Surely there's a marine biologist out there who's spent their life studying flathead and is a "flathead expert"? :wacko:

Cheers

Peter

Interesting!

I cant help but think that flathead would more likely than not be cross breeding with different types. Surely!

I know the blue spot, sand, and dusky are the main 3 kinds but there are quite a few more and apart from slight differences in shape and spots or blotches they are all essentially the same fish.

Could this be the case or biologically would it just not work?

I also wonder this about yellowtail and cowanyoung among a few other varieties of fish but i think the flatty family would be making some hybrid varieties surely...

Anyone have any facts or proofs of these maybe?

Musty

Interesting you should mention that mate, I was recently reading an article in AAA magazine about different species interbreeding. Some fish expert had caught 2 trevally in the same trip and both of them were completely new species. One was a cross between a GT and a big eye, the other I cant remember.

The expert believed that it is fairly common for fish of similar species to breed with each other, for example if a silver trevally loses its school and then later joined a school of another type of trev, it would certainly try to breed after spending enough time with the new school.

Whether this can be said for flattys is hard to say, but the main point of the article was the fact that ONLY an expert could ever tell the difference of these fish by eye sight. The differences are so minute that its very likely many hybrids are caught and eaten/released without anyone being any wiser.

I definitely wouldnt go past the fact it could be a hybrid but if it is good luck finding out without a dna test.

Hi Pete, I think Slinky is correct here, I've studied your pics and my pics and I think that the eyes steer it towards a Dusky, in one of my pics you can also see that spotty bit as well as very similar eyes, unlike the deeper water flatties which have larger eyes..

post-3371-1250676164_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ray and Slinky.

It's funny, but I never even considered that it may be a dusky. Sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious! :1wallbash:

You could be right. The caudal fin is a bit "dusky like" with that dark spot.

I may have to continue researching this.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter I know you have some doubt compared to the others but maybe it is a spotted flathead as their colours will vary according to the environment they are in and particularly if some have adapted slower than others in the school.......

That's a great haul of flathead in anyone's book :thumbup: ......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I received a pm from a Raider who has a mate who is a Marine Biologist.

The Marine Biologist says its a Dusky. This is what he said:

... opaque, speckled pectoral and pelvic fins, blueish on the tail. You can make out the faint bars on its back still.

So the expert agrees with Slinky, Ray and funnierthanu. :thumbup: (I had no idea it was a Dusky - which shows you how much I know!)

Thanks again for your help Gordon, and your mate too.

Cheers

Peter