Mixed Bag Off Dy

saltrix

Launched at about 6am, and tried trolling in the Harbour and at Nth Head.

It was a nice calm morning with a bit of a westerly early.

post-3961-1250667700_thumb.jpg

The water was pretty clear and not much white water and I did not get a hit.

post-3961-1250667786_thumb.jpg

Tried bottom bashing off DY and managed a feed but only just. This week there was not enough current or breeze to drift. I only went about 100 metres in 1/2 hour.

Gave it away at 10.30 and went home. There were a few flocks of birds around getting exited about something but I did not see any fish chopping and trolled around the outside of them without success.

post-3961-1250668040_thumb.jpg

Good mixer... :1fishing1:

Nice Flatties mate :thumbup:

Chinaman LJ is a bit of a stonker isnt it???

Bonus Trev is always good when bottom bashing as is the odd Pinkie

Not sure about the pickhandles (Maori Wrasse) thoough, I hear they arent great eating...

Edited by jewiehaven

Well done Saltrix - you got out there and once again got a decent haul.

Cheers

Tan

They are maori wrasse, if large enough they are good eating with firm white flaky flesh. I prefer to return them but after bringing them up from 50 m they are usually sick especially as they have taken 4/0 hooks right down.

Oops Replied to the wrong comment, but jewiehaven has already identified the maori wrasse.

Edited by saltrix

Have caught heaps of those wrasse on charters and when bottom bouncing both in Sydney harbour and also North Coast and South Coast

Gave a few to my Mum and she reckon they werent too crash hot (reckon they tasked like Iodine), but personally havent tried em...

Maybe smoked might be pretty tasty though???

Oooh, saltrix. I just wish I was able to go........Damn the mother in law :ranting2: . I would have been happy to get amongst your mixed bag. I was so eager for a fish yesterday, I went to palm beach wharf last night with slabslinger and watched him pull in the biggest landbased bream. It was a stonker :1yikes: , and I got a donut. :wacko:

PS.. Im ready when you are!!!!.... maybe I will bring you luck :074::074:

Have caught heaps of those wrasse on charters and when bottom bouncing both in Sydney harbour and also North Coast and South Coast

Gave a few to my Mum and she reckon they werent too crash hot (reckon they tasked like Iodine), but personally havent tried em...

Maybe smoked might be pretty tasty though???

Never had any complaints except they are hard to fillet and bone, but the flesh has always been excellent.

Perhaps if not killed and bled and place in ice they pick up odd flavours. They are easy to skin, so try removing the skin next time. As they are a firm white flesh I do not think they are a good fish to smoke.

Regards Saltrix

Good work Saltrix,

I was also out yesterday morning but couldn't find any fish. Did see some whales breaching off Manly and ran into a pod of dolphins while rounding North Head on the way home. So all in all a very pleasant morning despite an empty esky.

Cheers