Squidding In Brooklyn

bongie555

Me and a couple of mates are planning to hire a tinny off Brooklyn the week after next and I was hoping to introduce them to squidding but unsure where in Brooklyn to look, can you catch them in the Hawkesbury?, Ive caught squid in Pittwater before but need help for Brooklyn area, and what kind of fish can we expect out of Brooklyn this time of year and where to look?any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am asking for a lot but those tinnies arent cheap to hire for the day and I want to be as prepared as much as possible, thank you again.

Edited by bongie555

Me and a couple of mates are planning to hire a tinny off Brooklyn the week after next and I was hoping to introduce them to squidding but unsure where in Brooklyn to look, can you catch them in the Hawkesbury?, Ive caught squid in Pittwater before but need help for Brooklyn area, and what kind of fish can we expect out of Brooklyn this time of year and where to look?any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am asking for a lot but those tinnies arent cheap to hire for the day and I want to be as prepared as much as possible, thank you again.

If your after squid I would go back to Pittwater and hire one there.

Squid like the cleaner water of Pitty than the river.

Places like the weed beds in Careel bay and the back of Palmy are a better bet.

Greg

Hi Bongie555 its not too far from Brooklyn to take the hire boat to, so you could try around in close to the marina at Cottage Point in Cowan for arrow squid in the early morning..... Cast a couple of squid heads and squid strips out behind where you are fishing for them..... and then perhaps have a fish off Cowan Point which is on the opposite side to Little Jerusalum Bay and it's on on the way back to Brooklyn...... Cowan should within the hire boat limits as well.... See how you go in the early morning part of the session fishing, as Cowan Point is a natural run into area for the Flint & Steel side of the river and tailor and also salmon have been caught up there at this time of the year also there should be flathead around where the rocks meet the sand on the run out .... Perhaps you could do that before going back closer to Brooklyn and you could finish off your boat hire session fishing at the rail bridge about 50-80 metres from say mid way along the pylons for bream, flathead and perhaps jewfish which have been mostly of soapy size lately,and fish the rail bridge from about 11am onwards...

The Saturday of the weekend after next would be the 5th of September and would be give you a high tide in Cowan around 9.45am or so and you could fish the rail bridge for a couple of hours before the bottom of the tide which would be around at 3.15pm up there and probably get an hour or so fishing the stillwater and fishing into the run in tide until you are due to take the hire boat back...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

• Thanks 1

if he dose decide to go down to cottage point boat hire as both marinas that hire out at brooklyn have their cut off limits between juno point and gunyah , and also been 6-9.9 hps that dont plane that is a bloody long trip:P

cheers hoodlum

hoodlums right....great plan jewgaffer and it still may work if we hire from cottage pt, cos we dont really want to spend hours travelling and those hire tinnies are down right slugs. thanks guys anyway for all your awesome suggestions. it's just i hate hiring a tinnie without a plan, we usually end up without any thing to take home. last year we hired a tinnie and drifted from bridge to bridge all day and we must have caught 20 or 30 soapy jews, good fun but none were keepers. so if anyone else has any hints pls tell, we need a lot of help..

"We caught 20 or 30 soapy jews"

Aint no pleasin' some people :074: . Id be happy with just one (or maybe two) soapy jews. :1prop:

BTW, a very comprehensive response by Jewgaffer. Its why I visit this site. I like to pick peoples brains and steal their "secret fishing holes", so that I might actually catch something next time I venture out.

Two Blues. :1fishing1: