Slow But Nice On The Harbour

eagle ray

Hooked up with bass_beginer for a session this morning.

Upon leaving the mooring we came upon some birds working. A few casts with nothing it was straight to squiding. We had missed the high tide and I knew that the pressure would be on to find a squid. Went straight out to old faithful. The wind was making it hard to fish and visability in the water wasn't good so we went and tried a few more spots. A few hours later and the tide was well on the way down and we were still squidless. The westerly had dropped off so we went back over our tracks to give it a few more casts b4 being forced to go to plasticks.

1st cast at old faithful and I was on and the first squid in the boat. bassbeginner was showing us up with his fancy Japanese jigging techniques bringing in 3 more while I concentrated on the lift and drop. There was no shortage of squid as we were sight casting to them but they went off the bite and nothing would tempt them to come back on.

With 4 squid we went to the king spot and deployed the downrigger. The massive bait schools that we passed over at the spot had vanished. We trolled and trolled and trolled and just like with the squid I was getting abit worried when all of a suddent the ratchhet on the AVET was screaming and bassbeg was into a nice king that came on board and tried to destroy the inside of the boat. Definately legal but very skinny he had been hooked before with some heavy leader attached to a broken swivel hanging out of his mouth (and a stainless steel gamefishing hook in his gut on cleaning).

The second squid was deployed and the waiting game began. A few laps of the circuit later we were having a chat when I commented that there was a fish rising fast on the depth sounder. With all our eyes glued to the screen we didn't see the strike but we certainly heard it. The rod was bending the ratchet screaming however this fish was only a little fellow with a big heart and we sent himback to mum.

The 3rd and biggest squid went down nex and we had high hopes for a big fish. Unfortunately the cops decided to come and ruin the day. We doing our thing in some very tight country with the wind blowing and tide running. I turned behind me to check the rod tip when I saw the flashing lights 15 meters off the stern. My boat only turns in 1 direction when I deploy the downrigger so I have "restricted maneuverability" although I did not have the appropriate display I yelled loudly at the cops not to approach as I was under restricted manouverbility. The blond chick cop brandishnig a boat hook like a war club either didn't hear or didn't care. WHen it came clear that the cops didn't want to adhere to the rule of the sea we made a quick scramble to clear rods from rod holders etc and prepare to be boarded. At that moment a king struck, we didn't attempt to strike at the fish and it won its freedom. I commented to the coppas something along the lines of I have to get the "bomb up" which got the skipper of the cops worked up. I said nothing more and wound up the rigger. I think that they were expecting me to wind up a stick of dynamite. They gave me a good going over checking every thing out and calling me out for not having a mirror or something to gain a vessels attention and, no whistle or air horn on board and no rope attached to my bucket. I identified myself as master of the vessel and gave my name, address and telephone number. They didn't breath test me or check the fishing credentials of b.b. Before I even had a chance to ask them a question or 2 the skipper of the cops announced we were about to have a collission with some of the heavy structure in the areaa, released our boat and went off to bother someone else and raise some more revenue for this impoversihed state. We only just missed.

After a few minutes of cooling my temper we went to try our last squid which was no longer than your little finger. It didn't happen (was approaching bottom of the tide no run no fun) so we called it a day and went home.

All in all was a nice day on the harbour and was absolutly stunning when the wind changed directions. This is when we could see the squid. BB got a nice king for dinner and no tackle or boat issues were had. I have no problems with cops checking me out. I am legit however the situation they put us and my boat in direct danger through a collsion with a stationry object not to mention the possibility of fouling the downrigger bomb.

For those who dont know the definition of "restricted maneuverability" is as folows

Boats with restricted maneuverability, whether due to fishing, draft, length, towing, or other causes, have the right of way over vessels not so restricted.

BB has the fish, dont know if a photo was taken at his place. This one didn't want to be handeled.

Dan

Went out again his morning. saw the squidking out there and had a chat. He had some nice squid already. I managed 2 king candy's and 1 big squid.

Got to the spot and while there was still no that much bait i only had to wait 30 seconds for the first hook up. A feisty rat came in and was released. I put the second squid down and waited maybee 5 minutes before the 2nd rat came in just as grumpy as its sibling.

I hadn;t caought a keeper yet and I am having bbq on friday so the pressure was on. Thankfully luck was on my side. I put my big squid out and started the troll. 5 minutes later my rod started screaming and screaming and screaming. After a good fight a nice and solid kingy just under 80 cm and very heavy came in and for once behaved once onboard. Was bled and iced and I called it aday. Mission accomplished.

Unfortunatley have a 1 month gig starting tommorrow and will only be fishing weekends if at all. ARGHHHHHH

post-9442-1251940385_thumb.jpg

Edited by eagle ray

same on the slow day mate... and the coppas... but a day out is better than a day in lol

If your going to quote Maritime law then get your facts straight first, you are not a vessel restricted in your ability to manouvre, this applies to trawlers hauling nets, long lines etc, your a rec vessel, the definition is as follows,

Vessel Engaged In Fishing:

Any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manageability.

Trawling a downrigger does not in any way restrict your ability to manouvre in regard to the Navigation (Collision) Regulations 1983, you are saying that if you appraoched a an oil tanker in a narrow channel you would not be able to get out it's way because of your downrigger, ???????? you are making reference to this act as follows;

Rule 18 Responsibilities between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 0 and 13 otherwise require:

A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

a vessel not under command;

a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre;

a vessel engaged in fishing;

So if your going to go on a public forum and slander the people that are on the water trying to educate other boat users to avoid more deaths on our waterways then get your facts straight first.

If your going to quote Maritime law then get your facts straight first, you are not a vessel restricted in your ability to manouvre, this applies to trawlers hauling nets, long lines etc, your a rec vessel, the definition is as follows,

Vessel Engaged In Fishing:

Any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict manageability.

Trawling a downrigger does not in any way restrict your ability to manouvre in regard to the Navigation (Collision) Regulations 1983, you are saying that if you appraoched a an oil tanker in a narrow channel you would not be able to get out it's way because of your downrigger, ???????? you are making reference to this act as follows;

Rule 18 Responsibilities between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 0 and 13 otherwise require:

A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

a vessel not under command;

a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre;

a vessel engaged in fishing;

So if your going to go on a public forum and slander the people that are on the water trying to educate other boat users to avoid more deaths on our waterways then get your facts straight first.

Nice work and thank you for sharing that with us all Marlin repellent :thumbup:

Ensure your vessel is seaworthy would be a good idea.

I have received 2 complaints from members regarding the "bad-mouthing" of law enforcement officers. These people have a job to do and this forum will not condone any derogatory comments being posted about the work they do. If you have any issues with "coppas" or others then go through the appropriate complaint mechanisms to complain.

Remember that fishraider is a forum that encourages young folk and we need to show them good examples and not give them negative ideas.

mrsswordfisherman