Boat Trailers

pauljm

if u had a fibreglass 6m half cab and had the choice of rollers or skids on the trailer what would u have? i guess my question derives from haviing a %%%%% of a roll on trailer that i would love to modify to make it easier for solo launch and retrieve..... what denotes a drive on trailer anyway? i do ok at the ramp but my trailer wasnt designed for the boat so needs modifying..........

I had a drive on trailer for my custom 8m tinny. It had a great set of centering rollers at the rear.

When you first approached the trailer they would center the boat. With the sternleg tilted up I would give it

a nudge of power and drive up and over the "bump" up to the post. Leave it in gear and climb over the bow to hook up the cable. Turn motor off wind boat last 400mm up to post drive out. I could do this in 10 minutes with an 8metre boat. I would do the exact reverse to launch. 10 min from unhooking at the water to being at sea.

You need centering rollers/skids at the stern. From there it is up to personal preference. Skids seem to take more spread out weight and the boat is not bouncing on a small area like with rollers. Mine came with rollers so I can not give an opinion on skids. Those that I know that have them are very happy with them.

yeah thanks for that its just that mine doesnt centre too well.....rollers on trailer are way too close to ribs on boat so if i am out by half a roller it tends to wanna go the wrong way and end up way off..... it actually works ok cos the boat gets stuck on the trailer so i can just climb over and winch the rest of the way if need be....it can be a chore to drive off sometimes ...wondering if skids would be better but i doubt it.......

Over the years I had both rollers and skids/bunks.

Rollers are better for launching on shallow ramps , skids are much better for travelling on the road as the boat doesn't move at all . Skids are better for retrieving as wekk because the boat always centres itself.

I have a 21" Trophy now (2002WA) on an alloy bunk trailer, it takes me all of 1 mimute to launch and the same to retrieve ( 2 people, one in the car the other on the boat). The boat/ trailer combo weigh 2500 kg.

my trailer has a centre train of rollers rite up the middle and carpet skids at the back its easy as to drive on and its always ends up in the middle, the only thing is to know your ramp and how far to put your trailer in so i dont float the back, other than that its easy as with skids

post-10639-1252244903_thumb.jpg

I can't add any value on skids vs rails because my tailer only has rollers. After watching few of the experienced boaties at the local ramp I've worked out a good way to get you back on the trailer.

Start about 50 meters out from the trailer and put the motor in gear, as slow as your motor permits. As you approach line up the trailer and make small adjustments left or right to take into account cross winds. If the wind is blowing hard left of right you might actually have to aim to the side of the trailer. Always keep the boat parallel to the trailer!

Use the combination of speed and very small steering adjustments to line up the approach. If you don't feel 100% that you are going to hit in exactly the right spot BAIL. Don't be scared to bail. If you start going off course its unlikely that you will get it corrected in time.

The key is starting a long way back so you can get a feel for how the wind effects your line. I find with a long approach by the time I get to the trailer your brain is on autopilot.

• 2 weeks later...

man ive got car duties now while she drives the boat up,i hook the boat up ,whack a ubolt on and jump in and drive up the ramp takes bout 2 mins .wwhile the boat next to u is still being winched on. most full multirollers wil be driveon driveoff.ive got guards between each roller so even if half miss que u can lay off the throttle back and she centers as the boat rolls back then drive back up to the post. :)

hi there i got a 6.0m quinnie half cab and the trailer has rollers on it, my dad backs the trailer into the water and i just drive it straight up onto the trailer and he hooks it on and winds it up the remaining 50cm or so, its been in the centre every single time, and the process never takes more than 2 minutes.

I'm only 15 and i have no problems handling the boat and driving it up onto the roller trailer, its doesnt really matter what's on your trailer in my opinion, its more about taking the weather conditions around you into acount, i.e wind tides etc.

cheers JB :1fishing1:

Edited by fisherman1994

Ive got a 4.8 Stacer on skids, never seem to get it centred right, skid engages to early on the hull and it goes one side or the other. I cant leave it as it rides on one or other guards and can/does slip off the centre roller and ride on the bracket. A bastard on a busy ramp or if a bad cross wind or tide. The right depth seems to be the trick. I am thinking of getting some rollers for the back.

I used to do the drive on method until I had an experience in a quiet, 4 knot area : picture the boat in gear holding against the trailer, hop out and bring the cable back, hook on, go back to flip the ratchet, realise a big wake is coming in and dont make it in time to winch up or grab the boat.

Question - Which way do you go when the boats in gear, the fronts hooked to the trailer but the ratchets off and the boat is now got off the skids and is going somewhere else ??? :074::074::074:

Managed to rescue that without to many blue words :ranting2: and any damage.

Good luck, hope you find your solution.

Cheers

I have a 6.5m half cab that came with skids. I have since replaced skids with rollers and its alot easier to launch and retrieve - the only downside is that you get a bit of bounce when driving. Its my belief thats skids are made for lightweight aluminium boats, not heavy glass boats. For centering i use Easy guides which centre the boat very easily - all up close to a grand to do but well worth the money.

Playatz, save yourself a whole lot of grief and check this out:

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdeta...&search123=

I've got one and swear by it.

Cheers, Tuffy

Thanks for that tuffy....i actually bought one of those but wasnt convinced it was going to work and i cant quite remember why but it was going to be difficult to mount with the set up on my trailer.... interesting you swear by yours so if i have any more probs i will reconsider getting one....