Land Based Fishing Around The Heads

fadz

Old Mans Hat South head along the sandstone fence off the drive (south head drive), gates are closed at night also but you can get pelagics, pigs, blackfish, seen a monster blue groper hanging around there, have caught my PB squid from there as a bycatch on live yakkas also, just be carefull on southerly swells particularly on high tide

Old Mans Hat South head along the sandstone fence off the drive (south head drive), gates are closed at night also but you can get pelagics, pigs, blackfish, seen a monster blue groper hanging around there, have caught my PB squid from there as a bycatch on live yakkas also, just be carefull on southerly swells particularly on high tide

Cheers for that mate...will give it a try this weekend hopefully,anyone with any other suggestions,cheers.

Don't want to sound picky.But is't Old Man Hat on North Head :tease: .But yes it is a good spot.When I get a free week end I'm heading up there with Viet God.No I have'nt forgtten you mate.Just got to work out a time with the other guys.(I don't have my linence yet :1prop: )

Hi fadz

North and South head both have a few rock spots that can fish very well. Access ranges from a rock scamble to full on rockclimbing, ladders and ropes. The platforms them sleves vary from reasonably safe (Old Mans Hat) to down right suicidal.

I suggest you team up with someone who knows the area well, the death toll of rock fishers from those two headlands would be the highest in Oz over the years for shear numbers.

David

Hi fadz

North and South head both have a few rock spots that can fish very well. Access ranges from a rock scamble to full on rockclimbing, ladders and ropes. The platforms them sleves vary from reasonably safe (Old Mans Hat) to down right suicidal.

I suggest you team up with someone who knows the area well, the death toll of rock fishers from those two headlands would be the highest in Oz over the years for shear numbers.

David

hey dave,thanks for the information,obviously the last thing i want to do is risk my life or my cousins over fish,where would be a safer place to go with easier access and decent fish nearest to either north or south heads,cheers mate

Hey buddy, there is a really good little hole on South head. Follw the path till you get to the Hornby light just outside the HMAS watson fence.

There is a wrecked concrete pill box at water level.

You can climb on top of the pill box or fish from a slightly sloping ledge big enough for 2 .. its about 10M west of the pill box.

In between there is a hole in the reef. Its snaggy as so fish light.

When there is a wash coming over the reef I have picked up big bream, trevally, tailor and even a Black Spot Goatfish from that hole... The goatfish was bigger than they are supposed to grow!

Best of luck

Chris