Live Bait Fishing

Brooker435

Hey Raiders,

After Fishing the Rocks up at Avoca Beach for the 2nd time without catching anything... I feel that I am starting to educate myself a bit each time I go fishing by that of course I mean Learning the tricks and the do's and the dont's. Same goes for the Beach I fished it at least 4 times without any luck but after a quick lesson from Ray.R and 007 I was on the way... Landed 3 fish so far off the beach.

The first time I attempted the rocks I was there for 3 hours and lost about x10 4ounce snapper sinkers and a bucket load of other stuff :mad3:

However I had another crack on Sunday arvo and did not lose a thing but did not manage a fish either but was glad to achieve something.

Anyway I wont complain anymore Ill just move on to my main objective.

I saw a group one morning using Live Yakkas and they were a dynamite bait I think they only had a few but managed a couple of Nice Salmon and the other guy hooked onto something decent but lost the fight possibly a SHARK.

Now I am calling on the experts of the Area for a few pointer's if they do not mind.

Firstly are there any easy to find spots nearby where I can safely catch yakka's? I noticed a few being caught off the rocks but not allot I would much prefer to stop somewhere nearby and catch them like a wharf for example.

I am still yet to purchase a Aerator but have found a few on blah blah poop going real cheap so I think ill take a look.

and I guess the last thing is should I rig up using a bobby cork or should I just keep it simple as Ive never done this before but have been told that this style of fishing opens the doors to much bigger fish being caught for the likes of Kings and other species.

And probably a stupid question but one I have to ask should I purchase a gaff hook of some sort of strong net with a long handle.

Thanks And Regards,

Nathan :1fishing1:

hi mate, got my first king off the rocks at avoca using a live yellowtail which i caught off the rocks there pinned him and threw him out under a float, an hour or so later the rod buckled in half i picked it up set the hooks and was on, i couldnt beleive it, its a great sport, be careful mate.

G'day Mate...

If your looking at getting the right gear to set up for this (Land Based Game Fishing) I suggest you start saving, mate it is extremely expensive and lots of hard work... But can be well worth it...

You'll need to basically start your gear collection again (a good excuse) I would assume, I most certainly had to when I first got into it...

Better off using a float or a balloon to keep fish on the top, don't not use a float or the little bugger will get you snagged somewhere...

One other thing, if your going to be fishing for big fish of the rocks, you will need a gaff...

Any other questions feel free to PM...

Cheers

Ben

Hey Raiders,

After Fishing the Rocks up at Avoca Beach for the 2nd time without catching anything... I feel that I am starting to educate myself a bit each time I go fishing by that of course I mean Learning the tricks and the do's and the dont's. Same goes for the Beach I fished it at least 4 times without any luck but after a quick lesson from Ray.R and 007 I was on the way... Landed 3 fish so far off the beach.

The first time I attempted the rocks I was there for 3 hours and lost about x10 4ounce snapper sinkers and a bucket load of other stuff :mad3:

However I had another crack on Sunday arvo and did not lose a thing but did not manage a fish either but was glad to achieve something.

Anyway I wont complain anymore Ill just move on to my main objective.

I saw a group one morning using Live Yakkas and they were a dynamite bait I think they only had a few but managed a couple of Nice Salmon and the other guy hooked onto something decent but lost the fight possibly a SHARK.

Now I am calling on the experts of the Area for a few pointer's if they do not mind.

Firstly are there any easy to find spots nearby where I can safely catch yakka's? I noticed a few being caught off the rocks but not allot I would much prefer to stop somewhere nearby and catch them like a wharf for example.

I am still yet to purchase a Aerator but have found a few on blah blah poop going real cheap so I think ill take a look.

and I guess the last thing is should I rig up using a bobby cork or should I just keep it simple as Ive never done this before but have been told that this style of fishing opens the doors to much bigger fish being caught for the likes of Kings and other species.

And probably a stupid question but one I have to ask should I purchase a gaff hook of some sort of strong net with a long handle.

Thanks And Regards,

Nathan :1fishing1:

if you are going to put out live bait use the right gear as you will get smashed with out it .avoca is a easy place to get live bait ,it is also a very easy place to land a fish ,ive never had to gaff a fish there just have a good look at the lay of the rocks and use the wash to land the fish on the rocks ,seen thousands of fish lost at the gaff by missed shots that hit the line , evean saw a block run all over the face with a blue that was around 4 kgs last year on 24 kg line ,he fell into a pool on honey combe ,and then his mate fell in a mintue later and gafer him self in the leg , CC

G'day Beginner

I am a local and fish the rocks alot around there

Can get very busy around there so you have to be early to get a spot.

Best spot to get bait is off the front where the ledge drops close to the water and comes back up

but need to be careful. Use bread for berly and a live bait jig under a small float.

If there aren't many put a piece of peeled prawn on each hook this will help.

As for gear just use what you have and you should be able to get onto some. most of the kings around

there are undersize or just over legal. If you get onto a real big one it will drill you but you will get

a real buzz.

Not quiet the time of year yet though.

You will get salmon this time of year.

Be careful though and don't fish if the swell gets up around the 1.8mtr mark

It's not worth the risk.

Dont forget to invest in a good pair of rock boots

If you want to get serious You get a kidy pool new rod and reel gaff and start from there.

Good Luck and tight lines

Anthony

Hey Nathan, was this on saturday morning?

Hey Nathan, was this on saturday morning?

It was a Saturday but possibly a month ago.

No word of a lie there was at least 10 other fishos that could not catch a thing including myself but the live baits were a hit!!!!

G'day Beginner

I am a local and fish the rocks alot around there

Can get very busy around there so you have to be early to get a spot.

Best spot to get bait is off the front where the ledge drops close to the water and comes back up

but need to be careful. Use bread for berly and a live bait jig under a small float.

If there aren't many put a piece of peeled prawn on each hook this will help.

As for gear just use what you have and you should be able to get onto some. most of the kings around

there are undersize or just over legal. If you get onto a real big one it will drill you but you will get

a real buzz.

Not quiet the time of year yet though.

You will get salmon this time of year.

Be careful though and don't fish if the swell gets up around the 1.8mtr mark

It's not worth the risk.

Dont forget to invest in a good pair of rock boots

If you want to get serious You get a kidy pool new rod and reel gaff and start from there.

Good Luck and tight lines

Anthony

Cheers Anthony,

I think rock boots are not a bad idea as it gets very slippery there.

I think ill probably try and fish on a afternoon get there around 1 and catch yakkas and hopefully get right into the fishing by around 3 on a rising tide...

Just wondering if I use a small float how much length should I allow for the yakka? and what would be a good hook to use?

Regards,

Nathan

Nathan, don't even think about fishing without rock boots and either watching a rock fishing safety video or go with someone experienced to teach you about waves, sets and lulls. Alex Bellissimo has a good video which is quite informative.

Okay catching yakkas. This time of season i've found they're there but you've got to give them a little encouragement with berley. I only fish for them at night a few hours after sunset or a few hours after sunrise. Generally, i find otherwise, they're a bit hard to come by.

Use a sabiki jig and attach a sinker at the bottom. Use a small float above so fish can grab the hook and give u a chance to strike. Use some berley to attract them. As other people have said, use some prawn, or worm or squid, or even yakka flesh on the hook if you can.

Last week we were living baiting on the stones there. When we opened up the salmon's stomach we found the yakka head first in which was really interesting.

Cheers.

Did one of those guys have a tiagra 50 and the other two guys have surf rods?

If it was then it was me and my mates, we got 3 sambo's all up that went 3kg each and it was me that got done on a surf rod as well.

I'll give you some good advice for Avoca, you NEED rock cleats, without them you WILL get hurt!

Fish a float not a balloon there, keep an eye on your drift and have your wits about you. Learn to check not just the size of th swell but the direction as well. If it has east in it then be careful it can kill you as it'll come right over the ledge!

Avoca can turn it on well but with lots of guys fishing it in summer it gets very hard to fish well.

Live bait is good to have but you will need an aerator, i would also suggest to get a more expensive waterproof model with 2 d cell batteries not 1. Might cost a bit more but it won't die after 2 trips and will pump air into your bucket when a single will struggle.

And yes you WILL need a long gaff, 2 peice 4m as a minimum and strong!

I might see you up there later in the year, if you see a guy with a tiagra 50 on a red LBG rod or a tyrnos 30 on a live fibre lbg rod come say hi.

I got other plans for the next month :1fishing1:

Did one of those guys have a tiagra 50 and the other two guys have surf rods?

If it was then it was me and my mates, we got 3 sambo's all up that went 3kg each and it was me that got done on a surf rod as well.

I'll give you some good advice for Avoca, you NEED rock cleats, without them you WILL get hurt!

Fish a float not a balloon there, keep an eye on your drift and have your wits about you. Learn to check not just the size of th swell but the direction as well. If it has east in it then be careful it can kill you as it'll come right over the ledge!

Avoca can turn it on well but with lots of guys fishing it in summer it gets very hard to fish well.

Live bait is good to have but you will need an aerator, i would also suggest to get a more expensive waterproof model with 2 d cell batteries not 1. Might cost a bit more but it won't die after 2 trips and will pump air into your bucket when a single will struggle.

And yes you WILL need a long gaff, 2 peice 4m as a minimum and strong!

I might see you up there later in the year, if you see a guy with a tiagra 50 on a red LBG rod or a tyrnos 30 on a live fibre lbg rod come say hi.

I got other plans for the next month :1fishing1:

Boy Do I have some shopping to do!!!!!

I only really started getting serious about fishing but do not mind buying gear... its all a learning experience for me...

I was hoping to give it a crack on the long weekend but now i think ill need to buy a few things first.

Thanks Everyone for all your advise....

Regards,

Beginner

Hey Guys,

I have heard stories of Avoca being getting Crazy at times, I have heard of Big Kingies, salmon and just recently a nice Jewie being caught there...

I have also heard Live or fresh bait a must mate, this means no servo stops for you haha

My Advice to you Beginner is like the guys have said, Pack your gear well mate

and remember get in it to win it

Good luck Mate

Cheers Tom

• 2 weeks later...