Botany Bay/georges River 19/09&20/09

deano2233

Hello Raiders,

plan was to hit the port hacking with my old man(he is an old school fisho whos been out of the game a while) however after looking for a bait shop for that no longer existed but he insisted was there :1prop: , we scrapped the plan and headed to tom uglys bridge and went out intro the bay where my next surprise was that half the bay was blocked from the work they are doing there. Anyway we headed up to the airport and threw in a line but it wasnt very successful and i noticed the water was almost brown (probably from the work they are doing) so we headed into yarra bay where the water was much cleaner and after bouncing my plastic around for about half an hour i pulled up this beast,

post-10567-1253488648_thumb.jpg

some of you may remember my report two weeks ago about breaking my drought and pulling up a big flatty, well the drought stayed broken and this one was even bigger a quick measure had her at about a healthy 69cm and she was even fatter, had a head like a shovel. caught her on a squidgey 70mm shad in ginger beer and on my new plastics rod so not a bad first fish for my new rod. we sent her back to fight another day.

post-10567-1253488636_thumb.jpg

after :yahoo: and high fives all round we noticed the wind had picked up but we stuck it out for about another half an hour, we then decided it was getting worse not better so we had a nice bumpy ride across the bay. stopped at the bridge where my old man caught a little bream (i was determined to stick it out untill he caught a fish) we then headed back to the car and when we took the boat out of the water my trailer tyre inner tube had broken :ranting2: so my old man ran around for over an hour trying to get it fixed while i got to sit at the ramp with my boat, hmmm i was annoyed to say the least. all in all i cant complain though still a good day.

On Sunday 19/09 a mate and I decided to try for a jew at como. we decided the best time of the morning and set off without a minute to spare, however on arrival at como boat ramp we found that there was no water to launch the boat into because it was the bottom on the tide, so we trekked to tom uglys again and thought ok we still have maybe an hour of prime jew time so maybe first cast. however we showed up to our spot to discover it was taken, we set up behind the bloke who was using the spot and noticed a few times a bit of commotion in his boat and after the sun came up we decided to try somthing different but we drove past the bloke on the way just to see how he went. well he showed us a jew that would have had to have been close to the metre mark all we could do was laugh we couldnt help but feel it could have been us. anyway we headed to kurnell and got ourselves some squid for next weekend when we will try for a jew again. hey atleast seeing what he did confirmed that our plan was not a waste of time and we are oh so close.

post-10567-1253488657_thumb.jpg

so thats it a weekend of mess around, near miss and a huge flatty. its funny how fast fishing fortune can turn. Hope to be writing a jew report next week, untill then.

Cheers

Deano

Excellent report 5Star.... that's a nice size flathead you got of hold of in Yarra Bay... You often see flathead fishermen wading out in the shallows during the run out tide, inside the groin between the restaurant and the sailing club... I have noticed the same group of fishermen fishing there in the late afternoon in the past ....That part of Yarra Bay was often referred to as being one the best flathead nests in the Bay........ Good to hear yet another school size jew was caught upriver and bad luck your spot was taken as you sure had to trek around a bit, and then heading off to Kurnell and getting your squid supply for next time......August and September have never been classed as being among the better months to fish for jewfish, but this year has been much different on general species... and nothing really special, only a good size jewfish caught here and there a few months ago ....Going on the reports lately, it looks like school size jewfish are staring to arrive in the four Sydney estuaries during a month that most would say has always been the quietest period of the year to fish for jewfish.......

Look forward to reading your next report.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hello Raiders,

plan was to hit the port hacking with my old man(he is an old school fisho whos been out of the game a while) however after looking for a bait shop for that no longer existed but he insisted was there :1prop: , we scrapped the plan and headed to tom uglys bridge and went out intro the bay where my next surprise was that half the bay was blocked from the work they are doing there. Anyway we headed up to the airport and threw in a line but it wasnt very successful and i noticed the water was almost brown (probably from the work they are doing) so we headed into yarra bay where the water was much cleaner and after bouncing my plastic around for about half an hour i pulled up this beast,

post-10567-1253488648_thumb.jpg

some of you may remember my report two weeks ago about breaking my drought and pulling up a big flatty, well the drought stayed broken and this one was even bigger a quick measure had her at about a healthy 69cm and she was even fatter, had a head like a shovel. caught her on a squidgey 70mm shad in ginger beer and on my new plastics rod so not a bad first fish for my new rod. we sent her back to fight another day.

post-10567-1253488636_thumb.jpg

after :yahoo: and high fives all round we noticed the wind had picked up but we stuck it out for about another half an hour, we then decided it was getting worse not better so we had a nice bumpy ride across the bay. stopped at the bridge where my old man caught a little bream (i was determined to stick it out untill he caught a fish) we then headed back to the car and when we took the boat out of the water my trailer tyre inner tube had broken :ranting2: so my old man ran around for over an hour trying to get it fixed while i got to sit at the ramp with my boat, hmmm i was annoyed to say the least. all in all i cant complain though still a good day.

On Sunday 19/09 a mate and I decided to try for a jew at como. we decided the best time of the morning and set off without a minute to spare, however on arrival at como boat ramp we found that there was no water to launch the boat into because it was the bottom on the tide, so we trekked to tom uglys again and thought ok we still have maybe an hour of prime jew time so maybe first cast. however we showed up to our spot to discover it was taken, we set up behind the bloke who was using the spot and noticed a few times a bit of commotion in his boat and after the sun came up we decided to try somthing different but we drove past the bloke on the way just to see how he went. well he showed us a jew that would have had to have been close to the metre mark all we could do was laugh we couldnt help but feel it could have been us. anyway we headed to kurnell and got ourselves some squid for next weekend when we will try for a jew again. hey atleast seeing what he did confirmed that our plan was not a waste of time and we are oh so close.

post-10567-1253488657_thumb.jpg

so thats it a weekend of mess around, near miss and a huge flatty. its funny how fast fishing fortune can turn. Hope to be writing a jew report next week, untill then.

Cheers

Deano

you mean you were looking to launch your boat at 3:00am or so ? the low tide was 02:47 1.0 hour diff makes 3:47am. Am I right? And you favour the live squid for bait there ?

you mean you were looking to launch your boat at 3:00am or so ? the low tide was 02:47 1.0 hour diff makes 3:47am. Am I right? And you favour the live squid for bait there ?

i was just looking to get out before sun up, i dont seem to catch jews after sun up. i went to the same spot last nite and the action was red hot and my mate hooked onto a jew that looked as big as the one avalon showed me but we dropped it by the side of the boat :ranting2: it somehow snapped his 10kg leader. it was the biggest fish ive ever seen live. mate live or fresh squid are the go for jews they cant resist a big chunk of fresh squid. as they say a good jew fisherman is firstly a good squid fisherman, i however am neither. :074: