Night @ Gladesville

jewiehaven

Hey Guys,

Went out to Gladesville area with my good mate Eddie last night in the hope of some Bream off the wharf.

Got there 10pm and the wharf was empty for a change.

While I was waiting for him to arrive I noticed there was HEAPS of choppers jumping about and at times there were schools of them all gettin spooked by larger predators

DB brought the bait and he arrived a few minutes after I did.

Started to rig up the Bream rod and proceeded to chuck out my bait jig on 4lb string- first hit WHACK! the little rod buckles over and I am onto a better than average Yakka, he nearly bricked me a few times on the pylons and with such light gear he gave me a run for my money.

He came in at a smidgeon under 30cm and he was a HONKER! :)

A I was getting beyond excited I quickly re-rigged the bait jig and sent her out again.

This time Eddie was gettin bites on both his Bream Rods, mine was going aswell and so was the bait jig- bait jig came in first on yet another oversized yakka- was looking like if I was going to chuck out a livie I needed 10/0 or bigger- these things were monsters. :D:D

Kept getting smashed on the biat jig and I have a few yakkas in the bucket so I concentrated on the Bream rod which was getting very tiny nibbles

But it was too late, my bait jig got smashed again and I was onto a good tussle- after 10 minutes of very hectic action on a locked drag and a fish giving my over and above in swam a very healthy 40cm Flattie (my first on a biat jig WOO-HOO!!!!!) :1clap::1clap::1clap:

Keps waiting for the Bream rod to go off but I was losing bait but no hookups.

Eddie nailed a fat undersized Breambo on 8lb and he was returned to the water for someone else to catch

In meantime I was still having a ball on the bait jig and at one stage I was getting yakkas every cast, but there was one that I will not forget.

It started off like the Flattie and the drag was making short, sharp screeches, I thought I was onto a gooden and then I pulled up a 37cm CowanYoung (Mega-Yakka). :thumbup:

Eddie managed another 2 Undersized Breambo's, both were fat as... both in successive casts.

Still hoping for a Bream on the last of the tide @ 2am I concentrated on the Bream Rod- I got smashed a few more times on the pillies.

Eddie is still convinced I am the bad luck fisho but what the hey- I walked away with 3 good fish and a bunch of bait for next time.

Left the wharf at 2:30 it was friggin freezing and the wind was up and getting stronger by the minute.

Total Score:

Me: 1 Flattie, 1 Cowanyoung, 15 yakkas all oversized

Eddie: 3 Undersized Bream (up until I left the wharf- I left him there still trying for the elusive Breambo).

Had a great night with a good mate and I finaly broke the drought on some fine fightin fish on very light gear.

All fish were taking on bait jig, size 4 sibiki with Sardine bait.

that sounds awesome mate, good job on the yakkas, but where abouts was this? i can never find a spot to catch yakkas and i live in gladesville and have tried just about everywhere. Was this kissing point?

Cheers,

JB :1fishing1:

No, not Kissing Point.

More around Drummoyne area, there are some good spots around there you just gotta find the right palce at the right tide.

Gotta admin Gladesville itself is a great place to catch Bream, Whiting and Jew, but you wont likely get any yakkas there as most places dont have eneought light or eneough current.

good to see you getting into a few fish.

Find that there are 2 very good spot a night around chiswick wharf and over to the left of the wharf the local council also made another wharf with rod holders, good for jews on bait.

Chiswick wharf still hold mine and me mates record for 40 lizards in 1 session.

Great report mate. Shame you didn't have some larger rods to tackle those predators lurking.

Especially once you had selected some choice yakkas. Still a great report on what sounds like a fun session.

I was having similarly good luck on a sabiki jig last week. There must be something about

the multiple hooks dancing up and down that makes it irresistible to not just the baitfish

(and large ones by the sounds of your report) but larger and more desirable species.

I also managed a 45cm trevor on a handline spooled with 6pound line and a tiny hook

unweighted in the burley trail. Gave me a good run with constant head shakes - the extremely light

tackle is a bit of fun hey.

thanks

Mike