Hull Repair?

david88

Hey guys, got back from our 2nd trip in the new boat.

Open starboard bung, No water.... woohoo

Open port bung, 5 mins later get bored of waiting for torrent to stop...

Arrive at home and water still pouring out.

Upon inspection of the hull we find that some damage to the hull that had been repaired by previous owner has opened up again. what looks to be a car bog repair job has produced a horizontal crack in it.

post-10097-1253502163_thumb.jpg

post-10097-1253502206_thumb.jpg

post-10097-1253502297_thumb.jpg

I have never repaired a hull and i am wondering the easiest and most cost efficient way of doing this?

It should be noted that there is no access to the inside of the hull.

cheers guys, thanks heaps.

post-10097-1253502163_thumb.jpg

post-10097-1253502206_thumb.jpg

post-10097-1253502297_thumb.jpg

from what you have described and what i can see you are not gonna like the answers...

with the water getting under yr floor the stringers and transom may have issues as well...

first ting to do is check these out to see if its worth repairing..also has floor got any soft spots...

what sort of hull is it....

to repair that hull crack you will need to cut floor section to get access to inside to do it properly...

if you are handy and hull is one worth repairing then with alot of hard yakka and some $$ (if within budget) its repairable....

hope this helps..

sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

cheers...steve.......

Edited by roosterman

from what you have described and what i can see you are not gonna like the answers...

with the water getting under yr floor the stringers and transom may have issues as well...

first ting to do is check these out to see if its worth repairing..also has floor got any soft spots...

what sort of hull is it....

to repair that hull crack you will need to cut floor section to get access to inside to do it properly...

if you are handy and hull is one worth repairing then with alot of hard yakka and some $$ (if within budget) its repairable....

hope this helps..

sorry to be the bearer of bad news..

cheers...steve.......

The floor and transom both feel fine, the boat performed well on sunday.

I did not realise that water in the hull was such an issue, I know of boats that regularly have tons of water in the hull after each trip that still function fine.

what sort of problems would arise from the stringers being damaged? if it is working fine now, how long before these problems start to arise.

Many people have told me about fiberglass repair kits. is there any way of using one of these to repair the hole?

This boat was very cheap and I just want a way to fix it so that i can use it inside the bay once a week or so. even with as much water as there was on sunday I had no trouble planing back to the ramp.

Thanks for our reply. cheers.

the first thing i would do is sand off all that red crap and see if your dealing with a crack or a hole it looks like a hole that has been filled with bog

a hole can be repaired from the out side if you can get your fingers in to sand it properly

get rid off the bog and take some more pics and we'll go from there

cherrs gary

If you had water under the floor, shouldn't water come out both bung holes? I didn't think that boats had lengthwise bulkheads that would separate the under floor area into bow and starboard halves!

a repair on the external side of the hull will not last

it needs to be done on both sides of the hull ie internally and externally with the internal repair comprising most of the mass

its a dangerous situation to not do properly

Edited by Juggs

If you had water under the floor, shouldn't water come out both bung holes? I didn't think that boats had lengthwise bulkheads that would separate the under floor area into bow and starboard halves!

The hul has a series of stringers that go from front to rear and most times connect to transom. They are supposedly sealed and glassed in but not always 100% and any water that gets in or especially sits for a while stuffs them and possably transom as well. A decision has to be made regarding how long you want repair to last and what limits you have either skills or $ and if it's worth it. Yes it can be ground back and repaired from outside but won't las as long as done proper. If it's a split it may be even more an issue. I am no expert and always get proper advise from the apropriate people. It's good to get an idea from here and hopefully someone in the trade here can elaborate more for you. A fibreglass supplier can help you with yr needs as I did some floorwork and stuff on my boat and the guys at brooky were very helpfull making sure I did all the right way with all the right materials.

As Garry said get all that crap off and get a closer look into it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers....steve....

my old boat had a hole in it and i repaired it myself, fibreglass repair kit no worries, just google how to repair a hole in a fibreglass boat, thats all i did, you can smash a hole in the side of your boat with a sledge hammer and it would be pretty easy to fix :1prop: , i just cut a hole in me floor to make sure there wasnt heaps a water damage. ps dont panic, it can definetly be fixed.

my old boat had some floor cracks that needed repairing, Unfortunately the stringers were damaged also and it was very costly to repair it. Like Brickman said, get rid of the red stuff and see what your dealing with, hope the damage is not too bad.

It's not too difficult to do yourself but you will need to cut the floor up (with an angle grinder) and repair from the inside. Stringer systems vary a lot from none at all to complex box structures. There may not be any stringers in that area and so that's why the hull cracked. You may glass some wood in for strength if you wish. In any case you will want to glass in at least 4 layers of heavy chopped strand matt (learn how to properly lay up with resin - polyester). You will need to sand the original glass as well as clean with acetone to help the new glass bond. Depending on the type of resin you might have to sand between layers of new glass.

The cut up floor can be used again. Just make a lip around the hole with strips of wood and screw it in. Then grind back the surface, glass in a layer or two of matt and finish with flow coat.

PS you will need a respirator to avoid breathing in fiberglass particles and a pair of disposable overalls will help stop you getting very itchy.