Bull Mullet

mushtaka

Hey everyone, I have been trying to land some big sized bull mullet for a while now but have not had any luck. All i seem to catch are smaller ones around 10-15cm. I can see the big bull mullet but they never seem interested in taking a bait. I berly up the water with bread but only seem to get the smaller ones excited.

The rig i use is a float with a small longshank hook on the end.

Can anyone give me some tips! I fish in Narrabeen lake.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by mushtaka

The mullet you are talking about are bully mullet or sometimes called Sea Mullet.

These guys mainly do not bite in salt water. I have caught them in the Shoal Haven River neart the floor mill using squirt worms but that is the only place in salt water.

We used to fish them as kids in fresh water in the Hunter River using either dough (floor & water) or garden worms.

Cheers

Kingpig

The mullet you are talking about are bully mullet or sometimes called Sea Mullet.

These guys mainly do not bite in salt water. I have caught them in the Shoal Haven River neart the floor mill using squirt worms but that is the only place in salt water.

We used to fish them as kids in fresh water in the Hunter River using either dough (floor & water) or garden worms.

Cheers

Kingpig

Ahh! yes thats right "bully mullet"

Do you think i should try further up the lake away from the beach entrance where there is less salt water?

THey seem to just tease me all the time by jumping out of the water with a big splash.

Cheers,

Mushtaka

Ahh! yes thats right "bully mullet"

Do you think i should try further up the lake away from the beach entrance where there is less salt water?

THey seem to just tease me all the time by jumping out of the water with a big splash.

Cheers,

Mushtaka

Bull or sea mullet are one of the best fighting fish on light tackle ,1 or 2 kg set up ,

they can be very east to hook ,landing mullet over 4 lbs is a lot of fun as thew dont give up like sambos ,they go twice as hard ,

to catch you have to traget them hard .first why are they jumping ,they are feeding on incects ,so for bait magottos is the the best by far ,second is very small cubes of fresh cockels , hooks no 16 to 20 french patten ,no weight , no float , reel shimano 1500 baitrunner with 1 kg line , you must get them feeding on the surface of the water ,bearly with bran and a small amount of cooking oil ,DO NOT USE TUNA OIL OR ANTHING LIKE THAT .the oil is only used to cope with the wind , no wind is what you want to get then feeding on the surface ,the oil will help to take the wind off the water ,if you use tuna oil or anthing fish based you will have all the rubbish fish in the water wasting your time . when you see them with there mouthing opening on the surface filck your bait at them ,hit the bait runner and put the rod down ,when it screeams of dont strike hit reel into gear and lift the tip and you on ,Now hang on ,CC

Bull or sea mullet are one of the best fighting fish on light tackle ,1 or 2 kg set up ,

they can be very east to hook ,landing mullet over 4 lbs is a lot of fun as thew dont give up like sambos ,they go twice as hard ,

to catch you have to traget them hard .first why are they jumping ,they are feeding on incects ,so for bait magottos is the the best by far ,second is very small cubes of fresh cockels , hooks no 16 to 20 french patten ,no weight , no float , reel shimano 1500 baitrunner with 1 kg line , you must get them feeding on the surface of the water ,bearly with bran and a small amount of cooking oil ,DO NOT USE TUNA OIL OR ANTHING LIKE THAT .the oil is only used to cope with the wind , no wind is what you want to get then feeding on the surface ,the oil will help to take the wind off the water ,if you use tuna oil or anthing fish based you will have all the rubbish fish in the water wasting your time . when you see them with there mouthing opening on the surface filck your bait at them ,hit the bait runner and put the rod down ,when it screeams of dont strike hit reel into gear and lift the tip and you on ,Now hang on ,CC

Hi CC, thanks for your reply! very helpful!!!!!

Two questions: How do you cast out with no weight?

I might scale down to 1kg at the moment im using about 6kg.

What does a french pattern rig look like? Is that like a bait jig with 4-5 hooks down the line?

THanks again for your help mate! i will give it a go tomorrow.

Mushtaka

G'day mushtaka, i use a similar method to customcasting's with a few variations and find them easy to catch in the salt.

i use 4lb mono tied to a fine no 12 long shank hook, no sinker or float. For berley i use bread with enough saltwater added and mashed up to make it like runny porride.Every 3-5 mins i throw out about a spoonful of berley also dont throw any bread on the surface as it will attract ducks :thumbdown: .

For bait i use fresh sunblest bread.(sunblest just seems to work best).Now the most important bit, tear off a piece of bread about 1-2cm square without squashing it (dont bother using the crust),then gently fold it in half, again without squashing it. Then pinch a small section in the middle of the fold flat, pass your hook through this section. Doing this allows the bread to fluff up in the water without coming off the hook and the mullet dont shy away from it.

After baiting up dunk the bread in the water a few times to aid in casting,just a gentle lob cast.Dending on how much water the bait has soaked up it will either float or slowly sink.I perfer it to sink because i get more takes especially when the day is bright, a few more dunks gets it to sink.Also dont let the bait sink more than 3ft or you will catch bream.

Leave some slack in your line and bail arm open to allow the bait to move around naturally.Keep an eye on the line and when it starts to take off flick the bail arm over and lift the rod to set the hook.Do not strike or you will just pull the bait out of their mouth.

cheers ccfisher

p.s keep the bread in its bag or it will dry out and not work as good!

Edited by ccfisher

G'day mushtaka, i use a similar method to customcasting's with a few variations and find them easy to catch in the salt.

i use 4lb mono tied to a fine no 12 long shank hook, no sinker or float. For berley i use bread with enough saltwater added and mashed up to make it like runny porride.Every 3-5 mins i throw out about a spoonful of berley also dont throw any bread on the surface as it will attract ducks :thumbdown: .

For bait i use fresh sunblest bread.(sunblest just seems to work best).Now the most important bit, tear off a piece of bread about 1-2cm square without squashing it (dont bother using the crust),then gently fold it in half, again without squashing it. Then pinch a small section in the middle of the fold flat, pass your hook through this section. Doing this allows the bread to fluff up in the water without coming off the hook and the mullet dont shy away from it.

After baiting up dunk the bread in the water a few times to aid in casting,just a gentle lob cast.Dending on how much water the bait has soaked up it will either float or slowly sink.I perfer it to sink because i get more takes especially when the day is bright, a few more dunks gets it to sink.Also dont let the bait sink more than 3ft or you will catch bream.

Leave some slack in your line and bail arm open to allow the bait to move around naturally.Keep an eye on the line and when it starts to take off flick the bail arm over and lift the rod to set the hook.Do not strike or you will just pull the bait out of their mouth.

cheers ccfisher

p.s keep the bread in its bag or it will dry out and not work as good!

Hey guys! i went out yesterday arvo and i landed 3 big mullet!!! They go really hard and one time i even got busted off!!!! Its so much fun catching them!! i hope to turn them into a big jewfish off the beach now!

Thank you everyone for your help!!! LOVE THIS WEB SITE!

Mushtaka

Edited by mushtaka

Nice one mate, which method did you use? I would like to have a go at catching one because The always just cruise around a wharf where I fish but never seem even the tiniest bit interested in anything that you throw at them.

:thumbup: Again welldone, it's a great feeling when your plans work out!!

Nice one mate, which method did you use? I would like to have a go at catching one because The always just cruise around a wharf where I fish but never seem even the tiniest bit interested in anything that you throw at them.

:thumbup: Again welldone, it's a great feeling when your plans work out!!

Hey guys, i droped my line class to 4lb and used a size12 long shank hook. At first i didnt use a float but i still couldnt cast it out far enough so i put it back on about 80cm up from the hook. I also didnt burley much at all just a hand full at the start.

The other factor was that there was a school of them :1prop: so that was in my favour.

I also moved further up the lake to where the creeks run in.

So really i used both methods???

I will go again next week and use this method again and see if it works a second time.

Thanks to the guys that shared their wisdom!!!