Help Needed For 25 H/p Merc

kingfishercam

Gday raiders i am stuck with what to be looking at

scenario:

Put the boat in , squeeze the primer bulb untill hard, pull the cord and off she goes , starts firt pull every time , In the past 3 outings have the same problems. A couple of kms up the river the engine starts to die then kicks back in ,then, slows up ,then back, untill it then stalls.Therefore i pull the choke a couple of times and a restart intantly and off i go again, smooth sailing for 30 seconds,sometimes a minute or two,then the same thing. (frustrating)

Im unsure what the go is , the fuel hose is new,,so is the primer bulb,and yes it remains fairly hard,i dont re pump it each time , just pull the choke to squirt a drop of fuel in carby to get me started.

Also once i have stopped and fished for half an hour or sometimes not even 20 mins i start her up (no probs) but then when i accellerate she winds back down and stalls almost intantly , resulting in me priming with the choke a couple of times to restart and be on my way without it happening.

Any help or suggestions would be kindly appreciated. I always like to understand my problem and try to have a crack at fixing myself if i can , also a good learning curve. If all fails im happy to send it off to get a good once over from a marine mechanic. I look after it and it still looks only a day old , always cleaned out after use and lubed up every time after use , definatly no neglect.

Thanks again for any help i recieve. cam.

Gday raiders i am stuck with what to be looking at

scenario:

Put the boat in , squeeze the primer bulb until hard, pull the cord and off she goes , starts first pull every time , In the past 3 outings have the same problems. A couple of kms up the river the engine starts to die then kicks back in ,then, slows up ,then back, until it then stalls.Therefore i pull the choke a couple of times and a restart instantly and off i go again, smooth sailing for 30 seconds,sometimes a minute or two,then the same thing. (frustrating)

Im unsure what the go is , the fuel hose is new,,so is the primer bulb,and yes it remains fairly hard,i don't re pump it each time , just pull the choke to squirt a drop of fuel in carby to get me started.

Also once i have stopped and fished for half an hour or sometimes not even 20 mins i start her up (no probs) but then when i accelerate she winds back down and stalls almost instantly , resulting in me priming with the choke a couple of times to restart and be on my way without it happening.

Any help or suggestions would be kindly appreciated. I always like to understand my problem and try to have a crack at fixing myself if i can , also a good learning curve. If all fails im happy to send it off to get a good once over from a marine mechanic. I look after it and it still looks only a day old , always cleaned out after use and lubed up every time after use , definitely no neglect.

Thanks again for any help i receive. cam.

I had the same issue on the same motor and it was the seal inside the fuel fitting where it goes on to the motor, the seal was perforated and this allowed air to be sucked in and after a few minutes.....nuthin.

Having said this fuel should generally leak under priming with this prob..

GT

• 3 months later...

I used to have an Old black death as well...and as posted previously and you have probably sorted it by now, it's the seal on the male fuel coupling on the engine side.

And if the seal is bad enough when you prime as I did one morning fuel goes over the electric pump conviniently located just below the coupling and BOOM!! instant fire when you turn the key.

Choke to get running suggests the fuel mixture is going to lean. Check all hose and seals as others have said for drawing air in.

You could also have a speck of crud floating around in the carb thats blocking the top end jet. I had a similar situation with a 5hp Merc. Stripped the carb and blew everything out with air and off it went. Used to happen again as there was a bit of corrosion in the carb and a bit would flake off occasionally.

Cheers

C.

• 2 weeks later...