Parra River Back To Life

nickm469

G'day raiders. Long time reader, first time poster. Me & my mrs are nuts about fishing since we began about 3 years ago. We make sure to go at LEAST once a week rain,hail or volcanic erruption (usually tuesday evening) just to subdue our urges. Usually we fish along the parra river along various wharves, kissing point being our fav. For the last 3 months or so its been absolutely dead quiet with quality fish being rare to say the least. In the last two weeks the river has started to fire up again. Its been about 6 months since i have landed a jew but in the last 2 weeks we have managed to hook up to 3 and lose a few more ( so we suspect ). last week my mrs also landed a whiting measuring 41cm with a pillie fillet which i couldn't believe. Below i have posted a few photos from our last 2 trips.

flathead 70cm

post-11578-1254055372_thumb.jpg

jewfish 65cm

post-11578-1254055444_thumb.jpg

whiting 41cm

post-11578-1254056216_thumb.jpg

jewfish 46cm, whiting 41cm and a few bream largest going 37cm (top left)

post-11578-1254056003_thumb.jpg

1st session some large bream smallest being 28cm + a flattie

post-11578-1254056138_thumb.jpg

can't wait to get out there again this week!

Gday Mate.

:1welcomeani: To Fishraider

What a fantastic catch you have there. Its great to see the river is starting to fire up again. Ive fished regulary around Balmain over the last few months without getting a single keeper. If time work permits this week Ill be out for sure giving it ago.

As long as you dont eat fish from west of the bridge 3 time aday 7 days a week you will be fine.

A feed of fish every week or two will not have an effect. I know a bloke that wont eat fish caught past the bridge but dosnt see anything wrong with smoking 2 packs a day.

Cheers

Balmain Bob

G'day raiders. Long time reader, first time poster. Me & my mrs are nuts about fishing since we began about 3 years ago. We make sure to go at LEAST once a week rain,hail or volcanic erruption (usually tuesday evening) just to subdue our urges. Usually we fish along the parra river along various wharves, kissing point being our fav. For the last 3 months or so its been absolutely dead quiet with quality fish being rare to say the least. In the last two weeks the river has started to fire up again. Its been about 6 months since i have landed a jew but in the last 2 weeks we have managed to hook up to 3 and lose a few more ( so we suspect ). last week my mrs also landed a whiting measuring 41cm with a pillie fillet which i couldn't believe. Below i have posted a few photos from our last 2 trips.

flathead 70cm

post-11578-1254055372_thumb.jpg

jewfish 65cm

post-11578-1254055444_thumb.jpg

whiting 41cm

post-11578-1254056216_thumb.jpg

jewfish 46cm, whiting 41cm and a few bream largest going 37cm (top left)

post-11578-1254056003_thumb.jpg

1st session some large bream smallest being 28cm + a flattie

post-11578-1254056138_thumb.jpg

can't wait to get out there again this week!

mate good catch i havent been ther for a while might see you ther one day .

i normally chuck the fish back coz of the dioxin . Taste like petrol especially bream

wow man, some pretty big bream in there!

just curious about how you feel about eating em? I thought we werent supposed to touch fish west of the bridge (particularly west of glades)

Hey there cfw yeah i've received some letters from fisheries in the mail stating that there were some high dioxin levels especially in the parra river region near homebush bay. I dont consume fish too often especially after its been frozen.With a catch this big, I only keep 2 or 3 for the next day. The others I give to friends and family (first come first serve). Personally I'm not too phased about the dioxin levels with the amount of fish I eat..

Thats a great catch mate!

Gotta be stoked with Bream, Flatties, Jew and the Whiting.

Just proves the Parra is on the way back for getting good quality fishies.

Can I ask which wharf you were at??? It looks like its around Drummoyne area???

Hi there jewiehaven, yeah there's always a nice mix of fish to be caught in the parra. For the last 2 weeks I've been hitting kissing point wharf.

Thanks matey, I usually fish Gladesville area and Lane Cove.

Havent been to KPW for a while, I might see you out and about some time soon.

Good luck on the future captures

Oh yeah!... and fish from Parra River taste pretty good- I keep all my fish and am not fussed over the dioxin levels, I think it just adds a bit extra flava.

Nothing beats Jew or Bream/Whiting from the beaches they taste so much different to the river models.

Bring on summer- long nights on the sand, great friends, good beer and a few fishies goes down all too well!

Edited by jewiehaven

It should fire after the wind and swell.

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider, nice assortment of fish there Nick m84 ... It's good to see a landbased fisherman doing so well... there have been good results in general coming in from all of estuaries this year...one thing of note is the weather recently has distinguished the hardier fish that thrive in adverse conditions and includes, blackfish, kingfish, salmon and jewfish at the onset of a windier conditions in this case southerlys when squid are most likely to become active and moreso in low front shut downs for other species, the times when they have minimal opposition and school up in close... That's good advice from a5corry, as soon as the wind settles after a blow up is a good time to go out there alright, particularly when the wind changes from a southerly to a northerly coming from a warmer front and especially if you time your session to coincide with a change which has an easterly aspect in it during the late afternoon, during the night or early in the morning as the tide starts to run in....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Just got back from 4 hours fishing just east of the wharf at Gladesville.Only 1 bream @32cm(at least theyre getting to a filletable size) but missed two good bites due to ferry wash .Water is just on 17 deg.,and no fluorescence tonight(last night around balmain was like casting into a pool of glostix).I think perserverence may well pay off this season,so heres hoping,and :1welcomeani: to you,Nick and missus Nick.