Is This A Wobby?

hcwang

Question

9 answers to this question

Looks like a blind shark to me and they are generally pretty friendly. As far as i know they are not part of the wobbegong family and i couldn't find anywhere that mentions them being protected but you could ring fisheries to be sure.

Here is a thread that has mentioned blind sharks.

I dont know anyone who has eaten one.

Hey mate, its definately a blind shark, catch heaps inside pittwater mouth. Not sure about the eating qualities, I'd say it'd be pretty similar to Flake, as they say though, best check with fisheries first.

Cheers, Tobe

cheers

doesnt seem to be on the fisheries site though

not much meat on it mate, behind the first dorsal fin it becomes a pretty skinny ol fillet. but a feed is a feed, and i'll try almost anything once (or twice).

if you do keep one, i recommend cutting first thru the skin with a stanley knife, keepin fingers n toes out of the way, as the skin is a bit tough.

I notice you are wondering about eels too...give em a go mate, they aren't as bad as some would have you believe i reckon, just try not to cut the intestine as you clean it, and skin it soon after capture.

It seems you mite be fishing over rocky weedy reefy bottom?...try throwin your baits a bit more at the margins between the reef n sand or reef n gravel if you can, as the blind sharks n eels both hang out in reefy/weedy bottom, and the fishes tend to hang on the margins more i learnt.

good luck, jd.

cheers goony, great tips! :thumbup:

yeah its pretty weedy... dunno where the edges of the weed are. Probably not for miles, its pretty weedy along the whole place. Need to find some new LB spots :)