Looking At Re-powering (again)

novice

G'Day all,

I'm looking at re-powering my boat again, but first I need to sell or trade the 200Hp mercury I have.

I sort of know how much the E-Tec's are, but to minimise the outlay of $$$$ I need to off load the existing motor.

Is anyone after a used 200 ????

It's a 2001 model with approx 140hrs, and serviced regularly by either mechanics in wetherill park or down at the marina where I keep the boat.

It runs well, but scares my 4 year daugther with the noise.....not saying that it's too noisy, but hey.......it's a 2 stroke motor.

I was hoping to get between 8-10K for it, but any offers would be considered.

Alternatively......Huey.....are you in a generous mood ????? :biggrin2:

The boat is at Akuna Bay (rack & Stack), so a trial is very easy to do, and the mechanics down there could organise the engine swap.

Cheers,

Taps.

Hi Taps, see your PMs when you get a minute mate about the Raider price and how generous I am. Yes we would trade BUT not at those figures mate. The problem you have is that considering Merc and Yamaha are still selling new dirty engines cheap while they can the cost of second hand ones drop too. The ideal engine is the 200HP "HO" E-TEC because that offers more performance that you already powerful 2.5L 200HP, but at half the fuel, half the noise and the cost of owning will be alot less in servicing compared to any new clean or dirty engine.

Cheers,

Huey.

Mate grab a copy of the latest fishing world magazine, they have been running a test on a range of 200hp engines throughout the year and its got some really good info and figures on price/consumption and unbiased opinion. Some engines are more suited to some things than others and a lot of the engine suitability comes down to how you most use your boat and how you'll run your engine, its a very helpful article.

Cheers

Josh

Mate grab a copy of the latest fishing world magazine, they have been running a test on a range of 200hp engines throughout the year and its got some really good info and figures on price/consumption and unbiased opinion. Some engines are more suited to some things than others and a lot of the engine suitability comes down to how you most use your boat and how you'll run your engine, its a very helpful article.

Cheers

Josh

Thanks Josh......seems like a good excuse to buy the mag....

Cheers

Josh

Mate I read the article, but I'm not too sure about the unbiased part. They are sponsored by Suzuki and I reckon that is evident by the review. Safe to say there are no lemons amongst them.

Edited by Boban

Hi, I agree and no body makes a bad outboard today and the dealer should be the most important factor in the purchase because without the training, skills and experience of the dealer all brands can and do have issues. I personally prefer what we recommend but we have all the others brands coming in to see me about stocking their outboard and they are all fine engines but most have downsides and really I should be selling alot more of any other brand due to making more money servicing these engines and trust me the cost of "real world" services is more than quoted in the article and the "real world"cost of the XD-100 is not that bad if you buy from the right place.

All in all I take all magazine articles with a grain of salt because I have been on many and advertising dollars drive magazines and some are worse than others.

My best advise is to get a short list of 2-3 brands and visit your local dealer and buy from the one that gives you confidence.

Cheers,

Huey.