Blue Swimmer Crabs

diver1

Any one have any tips for catching blue swimmers? i would like to try this season but not sure where to exactly start. Any help would be appreciated!

what bait for traps?

how long should i leave them in before checking them?

what's every ones preferred amount of traps to use?

i fish the harbour and botany bay any spots would be appreciated!

thanks in advance

Any one have any tips for catching blue swimmers? i would like to try this season but not sure where to exactly start. Any help would be appreciated!

what bait for traps?

how long should i leave them in before checking them?

what's every ones preferred amount of traps to use?

i fish the harbour and botany bay any spots would be appreciated!

thanks in advance

there is a limit on number of traps/nets per person check the dpi fisheries site to get the latest on how many u can use. Pretty sure its 1 trap or a few witches hats

there is a limit on number of traps/nets per person check the dpi fisheries site to get the latest on how many u can use. Pretty sure its 1 trap or a few witches hats

1 trap or 5 witches hats and they must be tagged with your name and address etc.

Baz

PS. Don't ask me for any tips - I haven't caught anything in them yet!

Havn't tried this season will start weekend after next hopefully will be a lot better than the last season which for me was the worst for quite a few years.

Cheers

I agree I didnt crab a lot last year but the returns per trip were definately down.

Dave

with crabbing they seem to move around i am only talking from my experience in lake macquarie,best baits is fresh mullet frames,i always have a crab line or two over the side when fishing anyway with a mullet head on a weighted hook most times this out fishes the crab pots

Traps must be tagged with name address phone or boat name and rego. 5 witches hats per person. Take the kids (there worth another 5 traps :) ).I'm going to try tomorrow. Let U know how i go.

howd ya go mate.??

Traps must be tagged with name address phone or boat name and rego. 5 witches hats per person. Take the kids (there worth another 5 traps :) ).I'm going to try tomorrow. Let U know how i go.

Guys..

How long did you keep your hats out ?? would they be out there for most of the day or is it something you would be checking over the day?

Guys..

How long did you keep your hats out ?? would they be out there for most of the day or is it something you would be checking over the day?

I ussally check them every few hours. But i have only ever caught a few blueys in NSW. In Adelaide at present the crabs are on and your pot needs to be down all of a minute :yahoo:

Blue swimmers favour nice days, blue water,warm weather, they'll fossick in schools in the shallows, they'll even cling onto a live bait 100 foot down in hot bite conditions when they are most active and they'll rise to the surface hanging onto a bait when they're competing with other crabs ....until the blue swimmers decide to come back to somewhere or other in numbers, at the moment it would be hard to fluctuate in catch rates from zeros to several.... As a Patonga crabber who had his bins full of crabs on the wharf once said just leave your traps out anywhere and keep your trap shut, and if you need any better information than that, you've only got to calculate how far and how fast crabs go.... :o:D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

howd ya go mate.??

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Put traps in around the basin. Caught 3 crabs and one large octopus in about 2 hours. I tend to check traps every 20-30 mins as unwanted guests like octopus shred nets.

Might try again this weekend

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Put traps in around the basin. Caught 3 crabs and one large octopus in about 2 hours. I tend to check traps every 20-30 mins as unwanted guests like octopus shred nets.

Might try again this weekend

Your Occy wouldnt have been responsible for shredding your net.

Thats what the crabs do.

An Occy's favorite food is a Blue Swimmer Crab.

You will often have a crab in the trap, very limp looking thing, and are often missing one or both of its swimmers.

The Occys remove the swimmer and then suck out all the flesh from inside.

Wrinks

• 1 year later...