Cracked The Magic Metre!

jenno64

post-4017-1255231445_thumb.jpgAfter a disastrous weather week away I formulated a plan to hit the same spot as last week to target some flatties on the last of the run out. Topped up my lure collection after losing my favourite to a big tailor and launched before 7am in the Georges. Fished plastics on the drift for an hour before changing to hard bodies and trolled the spot where I picked up some nice flatties a week ago. Found a nice hole and bang nice 58cm flatty.

Just as the tide slowed right down, one rod goes off with the drag screaming. I quickly set the hooks and hold the rod between my legs while I get the other one in. Settling into a nice fight, the fish took off on a series of 10-20m bursts with me trying to ID what it was. The beast towed me back to the hole where it was hooked and there began a tug'o'war with it holding the bottom in about 8 feet of water. Knowing I was fishing 6lb gel spun and a 10lb leader, I was in no hurry to get colour. After a few more short bursts with drag screaming, it settles in under the yak for a while longer. At this stage I've been on for what seemed like 15 minutes or so. A couple of big head shakes and I'm thinking....metre plus flatty or a nice Jew (please not a ray!!!) With the rod doubled over under the yak I heave up a bit more line and get some colour. A pale flash under the yak and at first thought it was a mega croc death-rolling. Next heave up and I see the golden flanks of a huge jewfish. :1yikes: I check the pulse...rising rapidly. The next 5 minutes I spent holding the fish a metre or two below the yak....still the occasional burst for freedom. I get it up to the surface and see the lure in the corner of the mouth and the beast eyeing off the kayak. Now my prescription sunnies magnify things so I thought there was no way I was going to land this fish, so much so that I took a couple of shots of it below the yak which my wife later deleted because they weren't clear! It settles down and comes up to the surface a few times.....I look around for a boat with a gaff! I look at my new landing net...a silicon one at 55cm x 45cm....hmmmmm do I try...stupidly yes. The fish's head swims in...leaving 4/5 of its body out….. Plan B grab it under the gills like I've seen them do on Jew DVDs. Just then it looks pretty spent so I swim over to the side of the yak and reach into its cavernous gob with the lip grips (Plan C). On the 3rd attempt I come up solid and slide the beast across my lap....it doesn't move much.

post-4017-1255231386_thumb.jpg

Nevertheless, I put it in a headlock and let out the biggest 'Whoohoo! that echoed around the river.post-4017-1255231416_thumb.jpg

I take a shot of it lying on my lap then ring my wife.....my son answers and I tell him I've caught a jewey bigger than him.

post-4017-1255231355_thumb.jpg

The wife comes down to take some pics and celebrate the capture.

post-4017-1255231495_thumb.jpg

I peddle half a km back to the launch spot hunched over the fish in case it attempts an escape.

What a memorable capture, I have only caught one Jew before on my yak and it was 48cm and 1kg. This beast went 111cm and I weighed it at Mac's Bait at 12kg. All caught on a donated Daiwa Heartland 2-4kg flick stick, 6lb gel spun and a 10lb flouro leader. The lure was bought yesterday - a Mann's stretch 5+. On the water at 7am...off at 9am. Well now it’s in the bath with 2 bags of ice and I need to get the feast prepared.

post-4017-1255231473_thumb.jpg

I always thought a nice Jew would come along one day while I hunted flatties and I won't forget this day for a long while. :1prop:

That's a nice 12 kilos Mulloway you caught in the kayak Jenno :thumbup: Very well deserved after persevering and pulling a flathead out of the deep water which I think would have been the only way yesterday, a day that started off and finished off as a more of the same for my friend and myself fishing landbased for a good while in the cold on Thursday and finding just as quiet fishing on up near Lugarno until late in the evening yesterday .....

If you didn't fish in one of these spots yesterday, there's a couple of good each way spots on each side of the river only a couple of minutes up from the boat ramp under Tom Ugly's...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks for all your well wishes colleagues!!!!

I am still smiling and ended up paying a local fishmonger to prepare the cutlets for me.post-4017-1255253370_thumb.jpg He also band sawed the head lengthwise for me so I googled how to finfd the jewels and found them. Might have to make a pair of earings for Sandra! Also included the shot of the lure and a memento scale (which are now all over the car and kitchen).post-4017-1255253395_thumb.jpg

Life is good....I'm taking my 5 yo (net man) back tomorrow morning to revisit the scene!