Grey Splatter Paint Insdide Aluminium Boat.

puregeek

Hi All,

I am doing some touch up work on my aluminum stacer. The paint around the near the edge of the flooring has begun to flake and look ugly. Now i have used a wire brush and sanded it down, sprayed etch primer, then sprayed white to match the inside. However because the inside the boat is cover in some sort of a grey splatter paint the new paint looks out of place. I have tried calling bias and whitmores without any success. I have also tried super cheap and bunnings (i remember bunnings used to have it). Does anyone know where i can get this paint?. Because at the moment, it just doesn't look right.

Thanks

Tin of similar grey paint, flicked on with a brush? or is proper fleck paint? if its fleck paint, than go to a panel shop or paint supplier.

Is fleck paint what they use one the boats from factory?. I guess the grey paint flicked on with a brush may work. Has anyone tried this?

it's call colour flek and they use it for the back off utes as it is thick and harder to scratch than normal paint

the whole idea off spider webs on the inside off boats is to break up reflection from the sun

years ago i restored an old timber speed boat and painted it white inside first trip and it nearly sent me blind from the reflection :074:

a quick flick with a spray gun and some thick black and problem solved

test your flick tec.on a testpeace first as it is very easy to over do it a quick arc action i found works well

back off the paint on the spray gun to a bare min and do'nt thin out the paint it has to be thick

if i remember right colour flek will stuff your paint gun if not cleaned out properly

cherrs gary

back off the paint on the spray gun to a bare min and do'nt thin out the paint it has to be thick

cherrs gary

In addition to Gary's comment , the air pressure also needs to be reduced so the paint " spits " from the nozzle rather than the normal fine spray.

There should be 2 knobs on the gun , one to adjust the paint flow & the other , the air. Adjusting the air down & the paint , normally up , depending on how thick the paint should do the job.

Geoff

Geoff and Gary...quick question coz u sound like guns with the spraygun. You've pretty much answered his question but will the same basics apply with flowcoat as well as paint ? Might save me a few bux and time.

Cheers

Steve

Steve I'm not familar with the term "flowcoat". Is this a product or a process. Perhaps you could advise

Regards

Geoff

mmmmmmmflow coat never used it or even heard off it

i,ve done a few utes and panel vans with colour flek many moons ago and as mentioned above it sticks like shit to a blanket and goes every were you'll have to play around with pressure and paint settings to get it right if i remember heaps off paint and plenty off pressure for colour flek

the spider web efect is like dusting primer with black as a guild for sanding back before you top coat

the only diferance is you do'nt thin out the paint it's not that hard to get a good efect just try it out on some thing till you get the efect you require

i used to do a lot off panel beating and restore one tonners to be honest i'm no spray painter . primer spray putty and colour flek and stone gard was all i was able to do :074: unless it was enamel but you could proberly poor the paint on the roof and get a good enamel respray :biggrin2:

cherrs gary

Well i didn't have access to a spray gun. So after the paint was finished i used a brush and grey paint. Started to flick the brush a few times on a test sheet. In the end, looks about 70% factory, some of the paint splatter patterns did not come out so evenly. But in the end it worked out ok i guess.

Thanks for the replies guys!