Keeping Warm

Juzza

Just wondering, has anyone ever thought about wearing a wetsuit to keep warm while they fish off the rocks or while you're wading?

Also does anyone paranoid while wading...incase you slip and fall and somehow water fills in? Its the thing that brings shivers down my spine while im wading...or...in bed thinking about it.

Lastly can people pm me some good brands of wetsuits theyve been using and possible locations to buy? Would they be the same as the ones you use for diving?

Thanks in Advance

Justin :1fishing1:

Edited by Juzza

Also does anyone paranoid while wading...incase you slip and fall and somehow water fills in? Its the thing that brings shivers down my spine while im wading...or...in bed thinking about it.

If you're wading with chest high waders, put a belt around your chest towards the top. It won't make it watertight (unless you have it done up really tight...) but if you fall over it'd stop the waders from filling and preventing you from getting up again. If using thigh high then used a bit of rope or even better some wide strapping and a buckle - would be more comfortable and better for the venous circulation...

I use to wear a longjohn for luderick fishing on the low shelves,some of the other guys wore springsuits-also gives some protection in the event of a knockdown,needless to say I always use cleats in this situation.If I'm not fishing where it's constantly getting wet I just use shorts shirt and a good sprayjacket(and again cleats)-wetsuits aren't that comfortable on hot days if you're not wet.Any surfshop sells a range,a cheapie is good enough for this,hopefully you won't be in the water.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Justin

When I was doing a lot of winter beach fishing, it could be bitterly cold, particularly if you 'waded out to cast' to get those extra metres, or got big splashes from the rocks!!

Some wetsuits are too thick & make walking a bit difficult, which can be dangerous, specially if you are on the rocks. Also, you can actually get too hot!! The thinner neoprene ones would be the way to go. Or just get an old pair & cut them in half - VOILA!! top & bottom! Much easier to wear!

I have a pair of neoprene Ski Pants (got them from Vinnies for $20) that I cut the straps from, making them 'high wasiters'. They zip up the front (essential for the occasional pit stop - otherwise you have to take the whole wetsuit or wader off!) I removed that funny leather bit from around the lower leg, split the sides & sewed some wide velcro on - so now, it is easy to put on. Then you put your rock hopper/cleated shoes on, do up the velcro over the zip & you are warm as, able to walk freely & waterproof.

I even wear them in the yak in winter too! :1prop: I don't ever get cold.

Just so I don't look too funny(if that is at all possible!) :wacko: I wear a pair of light fishing trousers over them, with my mandatory blue shirt on top. You can even wear a rashie under the shirt as well, to be warmer still.

If you get waders, try & get bootie ones - once again, you can wear your rock hoppers/cleated boots with them. The Booted waders are not real good on the rocks (I tried them!) as they slip.

Cheerio

Roberta

I have a pair of wetsuit pants I use, with a longsleve shirt and if cold I use a lightweight wind cheetah jacket. It gives me good freedom on the rocks not having the wetsuit upper part and is a bit more comfortable if the sun is burning hot. From what I remember they cost me 150ish + but I surf also so I get double use out of them.

For wading in NZ trout streams there are two schools breathable stocking feet or Neoprene gumboot feet I have some colombia Steelheads stocking feet breathable chest waders and at $200NZ are a bargain a pair of size 9 (one size over my normal shoe) tramping boots and I'm sorted, if you go ove in a river in current roll on to your back and tuck your knees to the chest and float to the best exit a w ading belt is a great help for the rocks a 3 or 4 mm wettie is awesome or for good movement and warmth some polyprops a woollen jumper and neoprene rockhopper boots wool stays warm natrually.

hope this helps

Cheers

royce.

Edited by luderick -angler

Interesting post mate haha, i don't even use waders my mate and i half the time go out bare foot and in boardies up to chest deep in cold water been thinking about getting waders i work for Aprilia and moto guzzi so i get the water proof jackets they sell to keep me warm off rocks they're really thick and because thy're water proof they're also wind proof.

Cheers, Mick.