Kingy Set-up

hamerz84

gday guys been thinking about putting a kingy set-up together for a while now,

thing is i kept getting kingy hook-ups on my light gear in the harbout last summer while i was chasing the smaller species the harbour holds on my light gear.

my question is what would u all recommend for me. please be specific with rod weights and reel size's and also what size main line and leader please. because i dont want to get this wrong. alot of my lighter gear is daiwa and pflueger.

im looking at spending around the $600 mark for my new rig.

p.s my fishing is boat based.

thanks in advance.

G'day Hamerz,

It's a hard question to answer simply but here goes...

For harbour kings a 6000ish size reel with a quality drag (eg Shimano Baitrunner, Penn Spinfisher, Okuma V-System, Shimano Saragossa) on a 15kg spin or light jig rod, loaded with 30lb braid and using trace of 40-80lb mono or fluorocarbon depending on where you are.

For something gutsier, maybe a tough overhead like a Daiwa Saltist 40, Shimano TLD 20 or similar loaded with 50lb braid on a 24kg jig stick like a T-Curve.

There are about a million options but these 2 options are a start.

Cheers, Slinky

If your looking for a challange 300m 20lb braid ( just in case but you will probaly neever get spooled) 20 - 30lb leader, 10kg rod 7ft to 8ft, 4000 - 5000 sized reels and yer spinoutfit

But i would use 30lb - 50lb braid, 15kg or 24kg spin rod 7ft boat or anything up to 10ft landbased, 6000 up to a 14000, leader 60lb - 100lb, strong knots, hooks and swivels.

But one of my mates uses 80lb braid and 230lb leader and still gets busted of by kings ( in sydney harbour)!!

Cheers, Zac

Edited by the one that got away

thanks for the input guys, how much line on your spool is enough line for kings ??? or is this a case of "how longs a bit of string" ?

and i dont mind either eggbeater or overhead.

thanks.

I would say 200 - 300 should be fine. But i dont think really anything will rip 150+ metres of line let a lone spool you.

Cheers, Zac

thanks for the input guys, how much line on your spool is enough line for kings ??? or is this a case of "how longs a bit of string" ?

and i dont mind either eggbeater or overhead.

thanks.

Here's another one for you, a 4000 stradic match with a 7-10 kg 7' rod. 20 lb braid and 30 flouro leader is ample enough for kingfish in the harbour. You don't have to muscle the fish, use the drag, that's what's it is for, "play". Otherwise, using too big string loses the sports in it.

Looking forward to your first kingy report.

Littledinghy

I use an avet lx with 30lb braid on a 10-15 kg fibre glass rod cant think of the name that cost about 100 bux for down rigging and a old 6000 size penn reel with 30 lb braid on a similar rod for tossing out squid heads etc.

glass rods take the constant abuse that kings dish out and don't cost a fortune to replace if you snap one.

I have a daiwa certate hyper custom 3500. Loaded with 17 lb on a tcurve 6-10 spin rod. Dont like the rod at all but the reel is incredible (bought it off the net with out checking it out first). Just don't try and sight cast to massive coral trout and gt in the solomon islands like i did. Got bricked big time every time. Fine for smaller kings though structure is structure and you will get popped.