Keeping Frozen Fish

dusti

Hullo,

We've got a bunch of frozen fish in our freezer, bream, jewies, whiting ... anyone know how long you can keep frozen fish such that it is still edible?

A little bit embarrassing just how long they've been there, but it has been a while, and the missus wants the freezer space ...

Cheers,

GDay mate

A quick search on the Internet reveals that fish can be stored for up to 6 months, although it is not an optimal choice. 3 months is considered an acceptable length of time while still retaining some of the fish's eating quality. Clearly dating packets and ensuring you rotate the old stock to the top of the freezer will assist in avoiding wasted fish due to excessive freezing time.

Cheers

Hodgey

Hi dusti, as Ian said it's a good idea to label and put a catch date on all the fish that you freeze... family members can even be touchy about how long undated meat is kept frozen and decide whether they should eat it or not and rightly so..... If you have table fish left in your freezer and are not confident about eating it, it would be a better idea to thaw it out and put it thru a mincer that's good enough to fine mince parts of it and then freeze it again and use it as a frozen burly ball and, if the fish are a variety of estuary species, it's a plus to use the same burley in an estuary... add nothing else to it, and put the frozen ball into a weighted container for your bottom burley and fish with freshly caught fish fillets of the same ingredients if you can...... leave the jewfish fillets out of the burley mix and don't use jewfish as bait either and if even included in the burley mix, it might send a message that they're are sharks around and you always need to get your burley right the same as everything else when you're trying to catch fish

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Ahahah, you know what my parents did...

They gave me the old freezer and bought a new one for themselves...now i have a 6 foot freezer with 5 layers to store my bait...fish...ice... =D

Unlimited freezer space!

Justin :1fishing1:

Hey Dusti,

I also find that some fish freeze better than others. Your soft fleshed fish will not really like the freezer (like salmon etc). Bream, Jackets, Flathead etc are ok but after the 3 month mark can become quite dry when thawed and eaten.

As a rule I try to avoid freezing Jewfish. It is one of those fish I only eat fresh. Never seems to like being frozen in my opinion.

Cheers Sunnyboy1