Harbour Kings

SNAP-ER

Hi Raiders just a quick report as i havent got enough time for a lengthy one.

Hit the harbour twice last week,the first trip was with Jack and plastic_fantastic(Jeff).

Me and jack spent tuesday night gathering our squid for wednesdays hunt for kings,we ended up catching 15 squid and one cuttle fish.

The sun was rising so we headed back to the boat ramp to pick up Jeff and then we headed out, straight to North head to see if the sambos were busting up on the surface.On our way out i spotted the birds hitting the water and so Jack put the 115hp TOHATSU down to full throttle.We got to the school of baitfish in no time and struggled to find my Zion rod as my eyes were full of tears,Boy does that boat GO!!!!

Anyways we all picked up our rods and started casting into the school,and bang!!!! im on managed to get a nice 53cm sambo on my 2-4kg zion rod for the first time on plastics,and it was great fun on such light gear.At times we had double and triple hookups with many different species caught from salmon,bonito,trevally,snapper,and sargent baker all caught on plastics.

As the sun rose higher things started to slow down so we decided to change tactics and go for kings.

The weather was great with no wind and a clear sky it looked promising.

As we headed to our new spot we noticed a school of tailor chasing some baitfish,so we casted various lures out and got smashed by some nice tailor.

We got the downrigger ready and threw out the cuttle fish,and started downrigging.

Things were very slow and we were finding it very hard to convince the kings to come onto a bite.

We downrigged for a couple of hours and ended up losing the cuttle to a small bite,with no hookup.

We spotted the kings on the surface eating small whitebait and threw out a range of baits from live squid,live poddys and various lures,and they would not take anything,with our frustration raging we decided to head to the fish markets to get a feed and a drink and try again once the tide turned.

Back again on the downrigger we were with another live squid,but nothing once again.We started losing hope and new we were running out of time so we decided to head back to the ramp,on the way out Jack decides to try one last spot with the downrigger.

Out goes the squid and we start dropping down the bomb,all of a sudden i feel line peeling off the spool and and thoughtthe bomb was snagged as i couldnt close the bail arm.I pass the rod to Jack to have a look and he slams the bail arm shut and gUess what WERE ON!!! The Saltiga was SCREAMN!! and jack passses me back the rod and im onto my first sydney harbour king,after a few minutes upcomes a beautiful 84cm kingie,hi fives all round and were all smiling,finally our hard efforts were paid off.

post-10704-1256726049_thumb.jpg

I Want to say thanks again to JacK and Jeff gor a great day out.

The second trip started on saturday night gathering a few squid with my uncle Bass Bulli(Russle) and my little cousin (mini-mistro)Ryan.We only got a couple of squid though wasnt to concerned as i had 6 squid leftover from wednesdays trip.We had a great day on sunday with over 40 tailor caught between us and kept 10 or so for the families.We downrigged those fresh squid and kept getting smashed on every pass.

We caught 3 kings and called it a day as we had plenty of fish to keep the fridges stocked for a few weeks.

I must say we had an absolute ball,and was the best day weve had on my boat to date here are a couple of pics of the fish caught

post-10704-1256726955_thumb.jpg post-10704-1256727080_thumb.jpg

I Would also like to thank my uncle and cousin for a the company and a Great time in the harbour cant wait to do it all again.

Sorry Raiders im having difficulty uploading the other photos that are stored on my new phone,will put up once ive sorted it out.

Tight lines raiders

It was a great day out man...good company and to top it off the fish were biting (at least in the morning!!)

The sambos on the light bream gear went hard!!! :1yikes:

I can only imagine if we hooked up a kingie on the bream gear...I think i would almost definitely get spooled on my shallow spool luvias.

Cant wait to do it again. :biggrin2:

Hey boys,

Well done on the kingfish. I was the bloke in the tinnie who came and had a chat at north head. After you left the sambos came on really hard. It was one for young and old until the dolphins showed up about an hr into the show.

Well done on getting some kingfish. Good report and hope to see you guys on the water sometime.

Cheers,

Andrew

Well done nice couple of seshs and love them Kingys :thumbup:

Great day fishing guys :biggrin2: Hopen theres more like those ones to come! I've seen them boiling up on the surface too but no lures are working for me :thumbdown: Haven't been out for a while but! :tease::tease: Great pictures TOM!!!!!! :1fishing1: