Sambo's Botany Bay

Basil D

me and a mate went out today, we were planning a trevally and Bream session, got up 4.30 am, picked up my mate and headed down to the ramp,

The day looked horrible to start with, windy and a bit of rain.

By the time we got to the Drums daylight started breaking and was looking like a gourges day and you wouldn't believe it, thousands of birds, we thought SAMBO'S and we were right, action a plenty, loosing lures and getting busted of every second cast as were had light gear only, 6lb lines.

one sambo took 15 min to bring in,. Today they were taking everything including bent stick"s kitchen sink :074:

we manged 5 each, kept one each and gave the rest away to freinds and family.

the secret to eating these fish is to smoke them or bake them with veggies and potatoes and don't over cook them as they will dry. :beersmile:

Cant wait to get out again.

post-8352-1256789456_thumb.jpg

post-8352-1256789629_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

nice work i love catching them on the light gear

what size did ya get

ive still yet to actually eat one i bring a few home and every one else eats them

mate they all were 3 to 4.5 kilos :thumbup:

here are a couple of fillets SMOKED :beersmile:

post-8352-1256790675_thumb.jpg

post-8352-1256790688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Hi all

The boat goes in tommorrow to chase the sambos so expect them to disappear for the day.

We'll take the 1 kg mono outfits with us and if we find them work our way down line class from 4kg to the 1kg.

We usually keep a couple that swallow the lure or look like they won't survive.

I take the fillet off each side then skin the fillet and bone it, refridgerate to make sure the flesh is set.

Then with a sharp knife slice thru the fillet diagonally (45 degrees) so have thin fillets bit less than 1 cm thick,add a splash of soy sauce or similar. Heat a heavy frypan or b-b-q plate then sear each side about 20 sec in butter then eat.

I'm sure there will be someone else out there

Bruce

Hi all

The boat goes in tommorrow to chase the sambos so expect them to disappear for the day.

We'll take the 1 kg mono outfits with us and if we find them work our way down line class from 4kg to the 1kg.

We usually keep a couple that swallow the lure or look like they won't survive.

I take the fillet off each side then skin the fillet and bone it, refridgerate to make sure the flesh is set.

Then with a sharp knife slice thru the fillet diagonally (45 degrees) so have thin fillets bit less than 1 cm thick,add a splash of soy sauce or similar. Heat a heavy frypan or b-b-q plate then sear each side about 20 sec in butter then eat.

I'm sure there will be someone else out there

Bruce

Hi Bruce how did you go today, hope you got your bag limit :thumbup:

Hi

We did get out yesterday ended up with a feed but didn't find the sambos. We left the ramp 6am and headed across the bay keeping eyes peeled for surface action. All was quite saw a couple of places that looked promising but could find no bait or action so we cast lures around all the usual spots and did manage a tailor about 40cm. By 7;30 things didn't seem very promising so we went out the heads and to the north found a school of bait but nothing was happening to it and couldn't raise a strike around it.

Decided something might happen in time so had a bottom bounce while we waited and waited for action.

managed a morwong and 6 spine jacket. After an hour still no surface action so we headed north to Maroubra way had a troll and lure cast around likely spots.

Gave up on the surface fish and had another bottom bounce for another mowie and 2 more large six spines.

Headed back to botany heads finally found surface action just north of the heads in the form of a school of striped tuna, they were chasing bait and moving fast. My son finally hooked up and it took about 100m of line on the first run so a chase was requested and agreed to.

After about 10 mins a fat stripie of 3.4kg was netted which was quite a good result on 3kg mono line.

We couldn't find the school again so went in to investigate the bay. Couldn't see anything happening so ended up at the 3rd runway and managed one reasonable trev in about 1/2 hr then back to the ramp home then off to work.

After reading AQUA NAUT report I wonder what might have been if we had gone just south of the heads instead of north.

post-6756-1256967754_thumb.jpg