V-nose Tinny Ideas ? 3.5 M ~ 8hp

cut_loose

hey guys

heres my little tinny, as you know ive got the new motor on it, but now ive found myself with a few hundred $$ spare cash... any ideas on what i could get for her ? heres a photo

post-7089-1256817644_thumb.jpg

anyone got some photos of there set - ups ? i would love to see

its a car topper so i would love to keep things simple so just ideas like maybe a cheap sounder ? were would i mount it ??

thanks guys :)

great looking unit i would get a sounder the only problem being a car topper i think it will have to be removeable and depending were you sit when motoring you need to be able to see it clearly with out moving around the boat

maybe mounted on a pole or arm so you can get it exactly where you wont it and it could swing out off the way when not in use

just a thought cheers gary

.....heres my little tinny, as you know ive got the new motor on it, but now ive found myself with a few hundred $$ spare cash... any ideas on what i could get for her ? heres a photo

post-7089-1256817644_thumb.jpg

Hi cut loose

There are lot of inexpensive handy portable add ons that could be easily done to turn your particular car topper into a real neat little fishing machine....

If it were me, first of all I'd get Gary to supply or make up 4 of his small clamp on type metal rod holders and put 1 on each side of the side gunnels just in front of the seat at the stern and have the other two near the rowlocks to service the bow area which is lacking rod holders......you should also ask Gary to make up a clamp on sounder bracket for you and by the way it would be a good idea to add 2 larger diameter clamp on rod holders for the corner at each side of the bow overhang to double up as anchor ports and also use them as gaff and net holders and that would allow you to store other items where the anchor/s would go....

For what they are, the popular suction type battery operated light sets are very cheap to buy and the all round light could be taped to a lenghth of dowel about 120 cms long or better still, to maintain quality fittings throughout this boat and to have quality in the low cost items, use a length of light alloy tube instead of using plain unattractive wooden dowel.... you need to extend the all round light in order to comply with the regulation that an all round anchor light be installed a minimum of one metre above the port and starboard lights...... I think, the all round light would be best placed in the existing rod holder on the starboard side and you could silicone and/or twist the threaded cap off a small jar around the bottom of the rod holder to prevent the dowel from slipping thru....

The portable Hummingbird sounder which Huey carries is very popular for car toppers, yaks and canoes, and would be exactly what you need... To help you decide what portable sounder you should buy, I read in an article that the portable Hummingbird model is preferred by a well known bream fishermen for his own car topper bream boat....

With a few handy little things added here and there, this car topper of yours should come up looking really good...

I hope some of this information helps you cut loose, and I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to seeing photos of the finished product....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Yeah she's a nice looking rig for a car topper.

I'd be investing in comfort and convenience first....u may already have a great setup for a topper but the whole idea of boating is to be fun and use it often.

Comfort too...those seats look hard and will scorch your arse and thighs on a hot day..so whynot think about a really comfy seat on that back bench. Check out a place like Whitworths coz i think they even have already made up seat pads that are cheap.

Depending on how much u value your comfort you can always make up a super comfy light removeable padded seat for down back... by marinising a bit of 7mm ply (as long as u can make it but still fit in your car) and screw in a cpl of simple chocks underneath to hold it in place over the rear bench, some 50mm foam and stretch and staple some vinyl over it. Pretty easy and cheap comfort that u can throw in the back of the car before putting her on the roof.

Comfort in tinnies goes a long way...fishing is the end result of getting out there... so its important to want to get out there lots and u will catch more fish regardless of fancy electronics.

Cut-loose. I agree with Boomer's comments regarding comfort. Good quality cushions are available from the large marine shops. They range from $25.00 to 115.00 depending on thickness & length.

I would recomend the thicker one's , (50 mm)

Making your own is an alternative worth considering.

Portable (removeable) bait storage & cutting board would be next on my list. These may be of interest.

post-731-1256866718_thumb.jpg

post-731-1256866785_thumb.jpg

A plastic tub for anchor & rope.

Horizantal rod holders along the sides.

A fire extinguisher

A sounder is a good idea but this now means , a 12V battery & wireing both for the electrics & the tranducer.

Just something to be consious of & planned prior to purchasing the sounder.

Having a cover to keep it dry is also important.

Geoff

Hi Guys

Thanks for all that input, I now have some good ad - ons to think about,

I have nav lights covered, as i only use this boat 3 times a year i bought a cheap suck-on cap nav lights

sure they use batterys but i only use them a few times a year, Plus now i dont have to drill holes in my boat or any wiring, or battery to worry about.

The sounder, It sounds like i might go for a portable sounder,

Hmmm me got alot of thinking ahead :)

thanks again

:)

Hi Guys

Thanks for all that input, I now have some good ad - ons to think about,

I have nav lights covered, as i only use this boat 3 times a year i bought a cheap suck-on cap nav lights

sure they use batterys but i only use them a few times a year, Plus now i dont have to drill holes in my boat or any wiring, or battery to worry about.

The sounder, It sounds like i might go for a portable sounder,

Hmmm me got alot of thinking ahead :)

thanks again

:)

The portable sounders cost nearly double similar models that are fixed & the portable Hummingbird, as good as it is, can't really be used above walking (paddling) pace. A mate of mine has one and when he raised this with Hummingbird they advised that this model was really for canoes.

To mount them where they can be seen on a tinny you have to hang it off the side, and the sounder will pop out of the bracket when you are moving. It is still a great sounder - but beware of these limitations.

With the money you save by buying an entry level non-portable model you could buy a cheap battery and wire the transducer in. You could still install the sounder via a removable bracket - it is a simple one plug cable.