West Reef ?

i thought the epirb limit was 2nm Offshore so if u are fishing within that off the coast there would be no need for an epirb???

not sure if thats my interpretation or not. ie if u launch at longreef boat ramp u are instantly in open waters but dont need an epirb till u are 2nm off the coast??

Hey buddy, we got booked for exactly the same reason a couple months back. Check previous posts. As SOON as your in open waters you require the necessary offshore gear,, epirb, radio, charts, flares, V-sheet. Check maritimes website, as for us it cost us $250 and we were sitting just off The Gap. Its not worth worth it, maritime are cracking down and so they should, too many people dont know the correct laws, we didnt. But such is life.

Dan

Hey buddy, we got booked for exactly the same reason a couple months back. Check previous posts. As SOON as your in open waters you require the necessary offshore gear,, epirb, radio, charts, flares, V-sheet. Check maritimes website, as for us it cost us $250 and we were sitting just off The Gap. Its not worth worth it, maritime are cracking down and so they should, too many people dont know the correct laws, we didnt. But such is life.

Dan

Not disputing the open water requirements just the epirb.

A 406MHz EPIRB or Emergency Position

Indicating Radio Beacon is a simple and effective

alerting and locating device that is complusory

for all vessels operating more than 2 nautical

miles from the shore.The EPIRB should be accessible but stowed to

avoid inadvertent activation. Do not stow the

EPIRB in the bottom of a locker

so as long as u have the rest u can safely be within 2 nm of the coast and not need an epirb

G'day all,

I don't know the distances but I was out at West Reef a couple of months back and saw the maritime guys doing their checks. I went over to them and said I wanted to save them the trouble of chasing me out to East Reef.

They didn't require me to have an epirb at West Reef and they did say that East reef was ok but not much further.

Hope this helps.

Dave.