Replacing Bungs

myocard

Very easy, you should just be able to get them at any boating store or most tackle stores. Bring the old ones so you get the right size.

Sounds too simple.

The rubber bungs have a flange around the bunghole. The screw-in types seem to need a flush mounted mount that needs to be secured with a couple of screws.

One of my bungs is in a hole that is not round - it leaks. I've tried new bungs etc, but it still leaks slowly - more of an annoyance than anything serious.

I figure I have two options - silicone in the leaking bung, or replace with screw-in types.

I have an older quintrex with two rubber bungs.

Does anyone know if it is easy to replaced these with the screw-in type?

Cheers

Too easy, just unscrew them, if screwed in or just pull them out and silicone new ones in. Use plenty of silicone on the inside. I did this job in about 15 minites :beersmile:

I have an older quintrex with two rubber bungs.

Does anyone know if it is easy to replaced these with the screw-in type?

Cheers

There are 2 sizes of bungs , small (standard) & large. The small would be best suited for your boat.

The problem will be , the dia of the bung housing will be larger than the holes currently for the rubber bungs & therefore the hole needs to be increased.

A hole saw is the normal tool to use but as there is no "center" for the drill bit , a hole saw would be very difficult to hold in place.

Perhaps inserting the rubber bung & by drilling through the center may do the trick to hold the saw in place.

Check with your hardware store , there may be a drill bit type item that cuts sideways , so to speak. ie , like using a file to increase the size.

The other alternative , mark the hole size required & using a small drill , 1/8" drill a series of holes as close as possible around the circle to create the larger hole.

Use a suitable sealer around the hole to prevent leakage

Screwing the housing to the hull is preferable to using pop rivets

Geoff

Use an appropriate sized hole saw to create new 40mm holes for the bigger size bungs. In order to get a "centre" for the drill bit, simply make a plug from wood and whack it into the existing hole then use this plug to drill the hole saw bit into, thereby providing a stable work base for your hole saw, Easy as and job done in about 5 minutes, then sikaflex the new bungs in and secure with stainless screws into transom.

Pro finish and won't leak.

Cheers, Tuffy

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions. I'm not sure I'll tackle this job yet, or whether I'll do it myself.

It's a small amount of water, but the work is in a critical part of the hull. The more I think about it the more I see this as nothing to worry about.

You may even find using the large type screw ins that the centre needed for a hole saw is above the current hole for the push in bungs? otherwise the wood bung will work.

Only thing i would differ from the above excellent advise is i would use rivets, alloy, blind type as the holding force is higher and the alloy rivet will have less issues over years than the stainless screws in your hull.

You may even find using the large type screw ins that the centre needed for a hole saw is above the current hole for the push in bungs? otherwise the wood bung will work.

Only thing i would differ from the above excellent advise is i would use rivets, alloy, blind type as the holding force is higher and the alloy rivet will have less issues over years than the stainless screws in your hull.

Yes, in hindsight Jim you are correct.

Tuffy