Castaway Island Fiji

hornets

Just got back on the weekend from Fiji for 14 days . The resort was great with the kids having dinner at 600 & going to kids club to 900pm every night so we got plenty of time to relax . The Aus dollar at the moment is great as when we got home to pay the credit card it was half of the amount which makes it great . Now the important stuff , the fishing . For those who want to get out for serious game it is fiji $200 an hour for the game boat they use . I went with the local boat at night or morning on the reef For fj$35 for 2 hours . I only caught a small cod & there are 5 others on board . The next option was the book out the whole boat for fj$250 which will take you to do whatever you want to do , for me trolling. I took my fresh braided 50lb Okuma 80 with a shimano telescopic eclipse 2.4m ,6-8kg rod for a try , straight in the suit case with also a 2.1 m 5-6kg on my Daiwa 2000 with 10lb braid . I was told by my guide the day before I got there he pull in on handline a 25 kg spaniard so I had a thought that if the rod broke I could man handle something in . We had 3hrs on the boat as they like to get an early start at 6am - 9am . The weather was mostly windy through the day but the day we went out it was only 10knts . After the first hr we had zip & I changed from my 190 halco diver back to 100 halco rattler & within 2 mins hooked up on a barracuda . At this stage I thought at least it was somthing . I put that same lure out & also a small popper & as we we going past reef the action on the popper was unbelievable but no hook ups . I changed back to the 190 to head back past a big reef where some turns were working , With 2km to go the big one goes off zzzzzz. The local give a quick turnaround & I chase back some line . The rod did really well as I gave it to it to see how it handled . I the end I pulled in a 10 kg spanish mackeral . I gave it with the lure to Wati who giuded me & all round picked up two fish I havent caught before . Adam

Just got back on the weekend from Fiji for 14 days . The resort was great with the kids having dinner at 600 & going to kids club to 900pm every night so we got plenty of time to relax . The Aus dollar at the moment is great as when we got home to pay the credit card it was half of the amount which makes it great . Now the important stuff , the fishing . For those who want to get out for serious game it is fiji $200 an hour for the game boat they use . I went with the local boat at night or morning on the reef For fj$35 for 2 hours . I only caught a small cod & there are 5 others on board . The next option was the book out the whole boat for fj$250 which will take you to do whatever you want to do , for me trolling. I took my fresh braided 50lb Okuma 80 with a shimano telescopic eclipse 2.4m ,6-8kg rod for a try , straight in the suit case with also a 2.1 m 5-6kg on my Daiwa 2000 with 10lb braid . I was told by my guide the day before I got there he pull in on handline a 25 kg spaniard so I had a thought that if the rod broke I could man handle something in . We had 3hrs on the boat as they like to get an early start at 6am - 9am . The weather was mostly windy through the day but the day we went out it was only 10knts . After the first hr we had zip & I changed from my 190 halco diver back to 100 halco rattler & within 2 mins hooked up on a barracuda . At this stage I thought at least it was somthing . I put that same lure out & also a small popper & as we we going past reef the action on the popper was unbelievable but no hook ups . I changed back to the 190 to head back past a big reef where some turns were working , With 2km to go the big one goes off zzzzzz. The local give a quick turnaround & I chase back some line . The rod did really well as I gave it to it to see how it handled . I the end I pulled in a 10 kg spanish mackeral . I gave it with the lure to Wati who giuded me & all round picked up two fish I havent caught before . Adam

post-11296-1257399150_thumb.jpg

post-11296-1257399463_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornets

The fishing round Fiji is awesome & honestly the fishing guides are generally a great buch of guy's. I would give my left one to a catch a Spanish Mac! I went out for two days chasing them & could not tempt a Mackarel.

My consolation prize was a barracuda while I was there in Feb of last year, it was caught near the island that was used to film ?Castaway? from memory.

I am trying to add a pic of the cuda............

third attempt

post-4265-1257457575_thumb.jpg

Edited by FishDrought

Well done on the Spaniard.

Gotta love Fiji hey what a place and top locals. Bet the kids loved it.

I am heading over soon as well.SWEEEEET!!

Mike

I was there in Early June .

Took my 5 yr old twice handlining off the boat - he caught a couple of rock cod, a barracuda and miscellaneous others - prob 6-7 for him all up, with a handline. Never seen a happier kid. cant wait to go back next yr !

Congrats first on your catch and new fish.

As all the other guys have said fiji is a great location to go and relax at, bonus is only a few hrs away.

I to got my PB and first Yellow fin tuna which weighed 51.5kg

That is at the mainland & the large port where all the charters come in & out of so you should be able to get onto a boat fairly easy . All depends on the budget of course . I took 2 telescopics and some different lures as well . Probably took to much tackle , but is there such a thing . Look forward on hearing of you adventure .

That is at the mainland & the large port where all the charters come in & out of so you should be able to get onto a boat fairly easy . All depends on the budget of course . I took 2 telescopics and some different lures as well . Probably took to much tackle , but is there such a thing . Look forward on hearing of you adventure .

The :wife: and I are packing for the trip. First things that went into my bag were 3 8kg rods, the TLD20 a 10,000 shimano plus 1 more reel, a dozen golf balls and my golf glove. Ill chuck in some lures, jigs and a few spare spools of braid and ill be done.

I think ill try and book a boat out for myself rather then a group, want to give myself the best chance of catching some big boys.