Lubrication For Reels

cooper69

Hi there,

I was wondering if any other raiders were using "alternative" lubricants for their reels, especially the bail arm roller?

I was rebuiding a reel last night and the bail arm roller was seized with salt. I had a thought and grabbed a can of motorcycle chain lube and read it. It was the Sikolene stuff and read that it had anti corrosion proporties and a sticky dispositon as such.

I put it on the roller and it seems to work fine. I am yet to use the reel but I was wondering if anyone else uses lubricants other than the regular oil or grease?

Cheers,

Fred

mate i don't even use reel oil, i just give mine a good wash with freshwater and then after they have dried i take them apart and give them a good squirt with WD-40.

I've had the same 2 reels for over 2 years now, and they get a serious workout, and plenty of salt exposure when i head out, as i often like to fish from a friends kayak, or my small tinny.

Cheers,

James

There are lots of products on the market and lots of people have lots of ways of looking after their reels.

You have to be a little careful with what you use. The main potential problem is that many lubricants aren't designed for use in a salt water environment.

If you've ever pulled apart a reel with the wrong kind of grease or oil inside for example, you will often find that it has emulsified... not good.

I use grease where I should, oil where I should and wash & use Innox regularly. I'm still using some reels that are around 20 years old. There are plenty of good brands... I use Shimano Permalube Grease or Rocket liquid grease for gears, Rocket oil for bearings, shafts & rollers, and Shimano Ace2 or Unilight on drags as appropriate. I wash and spray with Innox or Lannox, every reel, every time I use it.

It's worth spending some time and a little money to look after your gear properly so use alternatives for sure but just make sure they're suitable for fishing tackle.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks guys,

I do use Inox liberally on all things marine.

Thanks for your thoughts on the chain lube. I guess it is designed for all weather applications so I will wait and see how it goes on my beach reel. cant be any worse that when I got it. :1fishing1: