Kings At Longy

spongy

Quick report for Long Reef on Saturday.

Picked up 10 livies (yakkas and slimies) from around Balmoral and headed out to Longy. Got there around 8am and was met with 10 other boats. We stayed a couple of hundred metres south of the group of boats and found a small school of activity on the sounder. We dropped the livies down and immediately had a big run. Wasn't expecting it so soon and didnt have the drag set, so I got reefed in 30 seconds. Next put down a whole squid and it too didnt last long. This time I was prepared and immediately put pressure on the fish, but still line was peeling off fast. kept increasing the drag on the 5000stradic and slowly gained some line back. This king was fat and probably the fatest kingie Ive caught. It went 75cm. Daleboy also landed a similar king shortly after, but he was using a fresh slimey strip on his little rod spooled with 15lb braid. We had to up anchor and chase this one down, as daleboy was losing more line. After 10-15 min we got him on board.

All up we landed about 8-9 kingies but only 2 were legal. We also lost a few more. So all up a great day's kingie fishing.

Conditions were fantastic out there.

post-5874-1258345936_thumb.jpg

post-5874-1258345986_thumb.jpg

Hey mate how long does it take you to get out to longy from the harbour? And what size engine do you have? i just got my boat and pretty keen to get out there. i got heaps of gps coords for wrecks around there from various dive sites, is that what you look for or do you just look for school son the sounder?

Hey mate how long does it take you to get out to longy from the harbour? And what size engine do you have? i just got my boat and pretty keen to get out there. i got heaps of gps coords for wrecks around there from various dive sites, is that what you look for or do you just look for school son the sounder?

Hey Dicko,

My boat is a 4.8m fibreglass cuddy cabin with 70hp 2stroke. It goes well enough and I can comfortably cruise to longy at around 20knts on a calm day. So the trip takes about 30min.

Yeah I have some coords as well so I try and visit a few on the way out, but normally when I get there I just cruiise around looking for reefs with fish activity.

We should hook up for a joint attack on the kingies. Let me know next time you're out.

Cheers man,

Jeff

g'day Jeff..

well done on the kings mate... sounds like a good day out..

hopefully catch up soon for a yakking session...! bout time i landed one of those bastards from the yak!

cheers mate

kiro

Hey Kiro,

Long time no hear.

Yeah def need to do more yakking. Im actually thinking of yakking in middle harbour this Wednesday morning.

If you can make it great, otherwise another time for sure.

Hey Dicko,

We should hook up for a joint attack on the kingies. Let me know next time you're out.

Yeah mate sounds good i will keep in touch, i wont be getting out for another 2 weeks because im going away but after that i will be fishing a lot of week days. I only have a 50hp on a 4.5m quinnie but it would be good to have some one else around on my first trip few trips out there.

Yeah mate sounds good i will keep in touch, i wont be getting out for another 2 weeks because im going away but after that i will be fishing a lot of week days. I only have a 50hp on a 4.5m quinnie but it would be good to have some one else around on my first trip few trips out there.

Hi all

I am new on the fishraider and new on the water.

I have a 475 bowrider witha 60HP 4 stroke.

At the moment just cruising up and down the harbour.

Isn't there a ramp, close to long reef? Is it that you get the Yakkas before, that you get out through the harbour?

Hi all

I am new on the fishraider and new on the water.

I have a 475 bowrider witha 60HP 4 stroke.

At the moment just cruising up and down the harbour.

Isn't there a ramp, close to long reef? Is it that you get the Yakkas before, that you get out through the harbour?

Normally get my yakkas inside the harbour, then head out. There is a ramp near long reef, but its under repair atm, also, it a very hairy ramp to launch and retrieve from.