Rod/reel Combo For Snapper On Plastics

donjuarez

G'day matey, I 'll start you off with one of my set-ups,

7' Pflueger Supreme, 3-6 kg,

Daiwa Sol 3000'

15lb Stren braid,

15-20lb Sunline FC Rock flurocarbon leader.

You can go either side a little lighter or heavier ..

I don't fish for snapper but I have a snapper setup I'm starting to use for heavier estuary work. It's a 5-8 kg snapper raider (only about $110 now, bloody cheap imo) paired up with a twinpower 4000.

I'd had the twinpower for a while when I bought the rod, I picked it up just before the big price jump, it's the FC model and I got it over $100 cheaper than what they are now! But if it wasn't for the fact that I had a reel I would have probably picked up a stradic 4000, they're a pretty good reel and a lot less money.

Gday Ray...

How good are the Sol's?!?!?! I'm a big fan of the Sol 3000... :biggrin2:

I'm leaning towards a slightly longer rod.. Between 7'6 and about 8'...

There are Live fibre's in 8' & 4-6kg range... what are your thoughts on Live Fibre's? any good?

abecedarian, is the Snapper Raider the 7'2 or the 7'6? I'm assuming it's the 7'6...

anyone played around with both a 7'6 compared to an 8'?

Gday Ray...

How good are the Sol's?!?!?! I'm a big fan of the Sol 3000... :biggrin2:

I'm leaning towards a slightly longer rod.. Between 7'6 and about 8'...

There are Live fibre's in 8' & 4-6kg range... what are your thoughts on Live Fibre's? any good?

abecedarian, is the Snapper Raider the 7'2 or the 7'6? I'm assuming it's the 7'6...

anyone played around with both a 7'6 compared to an 8'?

I got the 7'6" rod, it was the middle weight and I prefer a bit more length. I think for the price it's a pretty good rod, but you'd easily find something better if you're willing to part with more money...

The SOL 8ft Heavy is the go if you want to land big fish.

8ft gives you the casting distance you want as boat noise scares fish!

The guys that fish with me all use the SOL's and I have seen a 90cm+ landed on one in 6m of water :1yikes:

3000 reels are good as they are light enough and have better cranking power than a 2500. Most fish 20lb quality braid but I fish 30lb silicon braid, it's thinner than standard 15lb braid but it is very expensive!

We do still get smoked every few trips. My mate last week got done like nothing I have seen, On a full 50m+ cast forward of the boat he gets nailed on the drop, has 3 stalemates with the fish and in the time I got the sea anchor up a boat turned to chase, it had taken a stack of line but now was 50m out the back of the boat! It was 100% snapper with head shakes all the way threw like only snapper do.

I hate leaving jigheads in fish, it's just not right :wacko:

Greg

• 1 month later...