Harbour 18th

Josh88

Hit the harbour today, had to pick my mates up from right up the harbour so plan was to just go straight after pelagics and get squid later. Found a few schools early on but they were a bit scarce and it was hard to get a shot in. Eventually got a few hook ups but lost the fish, as i got those closer they looked like trevally, a bit unexpected.

Anyway the tailor soon fired up and were tightly packed across a distance of about a few footy fields in front of circular quay so we chased some smaller schools outside the no drifting zone until the main pack came out, caught about 30-40 tailor all 40cm+ and made for some fun on the light gear.

post-6719-1258514057_thumb.jpg post-6719-1258514078_thumb.jpg

post-6719-1258514092_thumb.jpg post-6719-1258514108_thumb.jpg post-6719-1258514123_thumb.jpg

Went after some squid after that and managed to get one biggy cuttlefish, went and dropped anchor ready to put him to use, have him on the bait board, bend over to pick up the knife only to watch him squirt his ink and propel himself to freedom...i was less than happy seeing that was the only we had.

Found a patch of salmon but they were quite picky, heaps of follows but just cannot entice them to strike...any ideas??

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Found a patch of salmon but they were quite picky, heaps of follows but just cannot entice them to strike...any ideas??

Have a few casts with either a small metal or small white SP (match the hatch) and if there not interested go and do some other form of fishing ... lost count of the amount of times i've wasted a whole days fishing trying to hook those picky buggers!

bend over to pick up the knife only to watch him squirt his ink and propel himself to freedom...i was less than happy seeing that was the only we had.

Hahaha sorry to laugh at your misfortune but that was funny!

I will be hitting the Harbour tomorrow, sounds like there is a bit of action, sounds good :)

, bend over to pick up the knife only to watch him squirt his ink and propel himself to freedom...i was less than happy seeing that was the only we had.

how funny :biggrin2:

i can see that squid in my head doing a big "HA HA" as he was squirting his way to freedom

Hey Josh,

I've been harassing those harbour Salmon lately with some hits and a lot of misses!

I've managed a few nice ones on lightly weighted Squidgy fish twitched as they fall through the water column but there are plenty of casts between hookups..... They are worth it once hooked aren't they, such great fighters!

Doug.

post-7411-1258533749_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, I've thrown just about every conceivable lure i have at these salmon and certainly get more attention on the small plastics. A lot of the time im positioning the boat and my mates are the ones getting the shots at the fish and they not very experienced so it takes a while to teach them how to retrieve etc...and you end up not getting many good chances yourself.

As for that bloody cuttlefish, i knew something was up because he hadn't squirted or flinched once getting into the boat or in the tank when i got him out, the second he saw a chance for freedom he took it....smart little bugger.

Cheers

Josh

gday josh

a couple of months ago there was a big school of tailor in the hawkesbury near juno point and they just wouldnt touch any lure thrown at then so I put 3 small hooks about 6 inches apart on the line with a small piece of peeled prawn on each and cast it unweighted and had 6 or 7 in no time flat - perhaps that would work on the salmon? maybe worth a try.

pete.

Hello Josh,

For Sambos i find that 2 inch white grubs with a really light jig head work best for me. You need to fish light gear to be able to get a decent cast but once hooked they are great fun. I fish long fluorcarbon leaders sometimes as light as 4lb but more often 6 to 8lb.

The other option for them is the fly rod!

Cheers