Hds 5 Transducer Question

ajb

Hi Raiders,

Im about to buy a HDS 5 and noticed there are 2 transducers available- 50/200 and 83/200khz. Ive been told if i buy the 50/200 i can still switch to 83khz through the menu, can anyone verify this?? In reality i would not be fishing depths greater than 30metres so i think i wont even need the 50/200 which costs an extra $50.

Thanks in advance.

from my knowledge the difference between 50khz and 83khz is the maximum depth that the sonar will work in and if you are only using it max of 30m then you wont ever have to switch to 83 or 50khz

Edited by Dangas

Hi Ajb,

I just brought a HDS 5 with a 83/200khz transducer. I have a 4.75 centre console so most of my fishing is in the bay and harbour and must say that I couldn't be happier with the unit. My last set up was a Navman 6600 that I paid 3 time's the money for and did half the job. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Aj

Pretty sure that , while you get the choice in the menu to choose 83khz or 50 khz, you can can only get the frequency of the transducer you have.

50khz is better for deeper water but I'm not sure what disadvantage you have in shallow water compared to the 83khz.

AJB,

I recently got a HDS Lowrance as well. I decided on the 83/200 transducer, as all my fishing is estuary/rivers or shallow water.

From what I read, the 50/200 is better for deep water............

Although the menu shows the 83Khz setting it wont let you use it, if you have the 50/200.

My 83/200 cable states "Wide Beam Transducer"

Regards,

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse

G'day ajb,

I may be a bit off with some of the technical stuff... I'm not an engineer or electronics wizz... but unless you plan of fishing water deeper than say 70m, stick with the 83/200.

Lower frequency transducers have better depth penetration but lose detail. I have a 50/200 on my Lowrance and the only time I use the 50kHz transducer is when I'm waaaay offshore.

Inside the hawkesbury, I doubt you'll ever use the 83kHz frequency but its good to have if you decide to venture outside a bit an maybe chase some snapper or kings in deeper water.

You won't be able to use 83kHz if you have a 50/200 transducer.

The frequency is also not related to the power of the unit. Increased power will also help get readings in deeper water i.e. a 50/200 transducer with a 1kW power output would work in deeper water than the same transducer with only 600 Watts.

When you get your unit, you'll be able to run it in 'split frequency' mode where the screen will be divided and one side will show the 83kHz return, while the other shows the 200kHz return. If you watch the screen in this mode, you'll soon notice the difference in detail... and in deeper water, notice the difference in effectiveness at different depths.

Be warned... I might be talking out of my ears but this is my understanding of how it all works at a basic level.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi, good choice for your type of boating and we have some good specials at presetn for Raiders on electronics and the new structure scan is on B/O and due in a few weeks and the HDS range allows you to add this very cool feature.

Cheers,

Huey.

AJB and Hueyy,

How did you go getting your cable? Originally I had the 50/200 and the transducer head was MASSIVE, I kid you not it was about 3 times the size. Must have been the max wattage jobby.

As I said I swapped it for the 83/200 which has been working well.

I cant wait for the structure scan. I understand that they have hundreds of units in stock here in Australia, but are still awaiting government approval of some type............... funny as humminbird already have their sidescan operating.

Given the cost and ease of design, the humminbird unit would be my pick, only when they release the new 8 series though. The 7 series screen was too small, the 9 series is awesome but big $$$$ :(

I dont know why Lowrance has to use a 2nd transducer, why it cant be all combined into 1 ducer like the humminbird. I appreciate that it has a little black box as well, but a 2nd hole in the transom and possible another transom bracket to be welded pisses me off, but I think it will definately be worth it from the images I have seen!

Regards,

Rob

There seems to be a lot of confusion between the 83 vs 50KHz transducers.

The reality is very different to what people expect. For the record the 83KHz is very sensitive and only works in water less than 30m. I find it only works with clear water, any muck and its too noisy. The 83 beam is very wide, 120 degrees or something crazy. If I cast out soft plastics I can see them sinking on the sounder where the 200 beam won't even detect the lure. Even a prawn head will show up as a trail as it sinks to the bottom. When I berly I can see the peices of berly sinking down!

Its interesting to see the extra info you get on the 83 sounder when in split screen. A lot of people would benefit from using the 83 in shallow water but take the approach that since the 50KHz is more expensive it must be better.

If you are staying inshore then 83 is the way to go. However keep in mind it was originally for fresh water fishing so it can be very cluttered on screen when in sediment laden salt water. Its not marketed correctly in Australia because we don't have the big freshwater scene that they have in the USA.

Also the 83/200 has a wider beam regardless of which frequency you are running.

On the 50/200 the beam is narrow even if you don't use the 50KHz.

Just my 2 cents. :1prop: