Taylor's Bay (middle Harbour) Land-based

paulthetaffy

Had the morning off work so headed out at 6am for a fish. The plan was to locate some salmon or tailor schools in close enough to have a cast at (I'm land based) and I found myself at Taylor's Bay. Beautiful spot but with the low tide this morning the fishing didn't look good. I caught sight of some bust up's but they were all a good 200m offshore so out of range. Tried throwing some metals, poppers, & plastics but had nothing - no sign of bait schools in close either.

So I decided to change tactics, burleyed in close and whipped up a light running sinker outfit. I spotted a few bream & whiting so had a crack at them on prawn but they weren't playing ball either. Bites were coming but they were very very timid and I just couldn't hook up. After an hour of changing leaders and weights and hooks and baits I finally hooked up after another timid bite. My little shimano bait runner starts zinging as line is peeled off against the drag and I'm thinking - this is no bream or whiting!! Has to be a trevally. I get colour on it and yep it's a trev - looks a good one too - until the hook pulls :( daaaaaam!!!

I know there's some nice flatty's in this bay at times so I had also put out a second rod with half a large pille & running sinker. It sat there most of the morning without a touch, not even from the pickers :(

By 10:30 I'd just about had enough and decided to pack up. I was just dismantling my first rod when the flatty outfit with the half pille get's absolutely walloped - baitrunner screamed off but by the time I'd got to it it had gone - grrrrrr!!!!

Decide to rebait and recast it just in case while I'm packing the rest of the stuff up - you know how it is :) 30 seconds later it screams again but this time I'm there to grab it and strike it. Immediately I know this is a good fish as it starts taking line from me and this is my heavier 20lb outfit. I take it nice and slow and don't get much line back in the first minute. But it soon tires and starts arcing it's way towards me and 30 seconds later it's on the bank. My PB trevally that went 77cm :) No one around to take a pic though so I had to do my best myself (pic attached). I let him go in good shape to fight another day.

So while I was releasing the trev the hook and half eaten pillie was dropped in the water's edge. I picked up my rod to find that a pretty good sized blue swimmer had taken a liking to it!!! So I carefully pulled him in and he came home for a feed instead!!

post-11835-1259113004_thumb.jpg

My first reply in this wonderful fishing forum!!! Love it!!!

Nice Fish!!!!! Where about in Taylor Bay did you cast off???

I saw someone caught 50cm+ Trev at Pier 2 last week, and that was impressive already!!! I wish I can catch a 60cm+ Trev near harbour lb....

My first reply in this wonderful fishing forum!!! Love it!!!

Nice Fish!!!!! Where about in Taylor Bay did you cast off???

I saw someone caught 50cm+ Trev at Pier 2 last week, and that was impressive already!!! I wish I can catch a 60cm+ Trev near harbour lb....

Hi Alfy, welcome to the forum.

I've sent you a PM with the details

Great stuff !!

Is Taylor's Bay the spot around the corner from Clifton Garden's?

Yeah that's the one. I wandered down there one day last year to find some shelter from a strong northerly - glad I found it now!! It's quite sheltered and looks stunning when the water is glassy and high.

To be honest it hasn't been the most productive of places for me but I think I'll be going back after today.

I once caught a 7lb silver trevally from the rocks at catherine hill bay but dont know the length of it - by the looks of your fish it would be similar size i am guessing.

Dont they go hard when they are that size! you can understand why so many big ones are lost to hooks pulling out.

great fish mate.

pete.

I once caught a 7lb silver trevally from the rocks at catherine hill bay but dont know the length of it - by the looks of your fish it would be similar size i am guessing.

Dont they go hard when they are that size! you can understand why so many big ones are lost to hooks pulling out.

great fish mate.

pete.

Cheers Pete. I didn't weigh it but it must have been that kind of ballpark.

I loving catching trevally of any size as they always give a good account for themselves. But that one gave a good scrap for the first minute or so - which always feels like 10 minutes :)

I know what you mean about the hooks pulling - they have such soft mouths that they can tear easily if you're too aggressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alfy, welcome to the forum.

I've sent you a PM with the details

Hey mate ripper trev! just wondering how you get down to taylors bay. Is there a bushtrack or something like that? Thanks TOM!!!

Hey mate ripper trev! just wondering how you get down to taylors bay. Is there a bushtrack or something like that? Thanks TOM!!!

There's steps at the end of Iluka road that lead you down to the rocks. You can only access it at low tide though, or else the steps lead into the water.

Cheers

Paul