Electric Motors

i would be saying that for that kind of boat then no it is not worth it

pratice other kinds of ways to catch the fish

main resone i'm saying this is because for that kind of size of motor you would be needing 80lb you would be looking at setting up a twin set of batterys to give you the 24volts needed to run it and right there your starting to add more costs and weight to the bow /stern of your boat

this is one resone you don't often see this kind of craft with a electric set up unless they are desinged for the lure fishing like the fancy bass/bay boats

go on the drift with a sea anchor

Agree with the others , at least an 80lb salt water motor ( white) plus 2 X 12V batteries in series to create 24V.

As a rough guide 2 batteries + a charger will cost around $900 + the motor which I think are in the $1500 - $2000 range (depending on size) + instalation & fitting

Weight wise , 2 batteries , approx 65kg + the motor & base , around 50kg , again , depending on the size

Your question , "Is it worthwhile" it mainly depends on the frequency of use. If used on most outings , then perhaps , yes.

If occusional or "nice to have" then maybe difficult to justify the $$$$$ outlay

Space , other than the space required on the deck for the motor & base , the area taken up by "Off the shelf" battery boxes is approx 450mm X 450mm. If a custom made box is made , the area would be slightly smaller

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

About three years ago i worked for Minn Kota [sales] and i know they used to do a model that sits on the back of your outboard , it's about an 80lb model , which is just the motor basically no shaft or steering head and you steer by using your current steering wheel . once your on the plain it is out of the water and creates no drag, also your batteries can be down the back or middle of your boat then . This can give your boat some stealth in the estuary and shallows . It would still be available i hope , not as popular as the tiller or bowmount models , obviously , but it is the best way i have seen to put an electric onto a boat like yours ,

Bubba

About three years ago i worked for Minn Kota [sales] and i know they used to do a model that sits on the back of your outboard , it's about an 80lb model , which is just the motor basically no shaft or steering head and you steer by using your current steering wheel . once your on the plain it is out of the water and creates no drag, also your batteries can be down the back or middle of your boat then . This can give your boat some stealth in the estuary and shallows . It would still be available i hope , not as popular as the tiller or bowmount models , obviously , but it is the best way i have seen to put an electric onto a boat like yours ,

Bubba

thanks guys for all the comments...was just a thought at the moment :)

I recently went on an estuary charter on the Gold Coast. The boat was a 24 ft custom built alloy with 2 electrics fitted.

The shafts ran parrallel to the bottom of the boat one on either side of the outboard. The guide operated them with a remote strapped to his wrist about the size of a watch.

The cost however was about $6000!!!

Jeff