Whiting As Live Bait

jenno64

Headed out this morning and couldn't find any poddies so after a couple of trolls with my usual flatty lures I picked up some pinkies and a 20cm trumpeter whiting which I kept for a bait. The wind blew up about 9am so we headed over to the leeward side of the river and tried a drift with some plastics. On the first drift we were being blown at about 5 knots and the livey line screams. After a few minutes, a good flatty came up strangled by the other line which was snagged on the bottom. I pedalled over to a beach to see if she was still OK but she was rolling upside down and battle scared so I kept her. She went 76cm and ended up feeding six of us tonight. After gutting plenty of good flatties and finding whiting in the gut, my theory paid off.

post-4017-1259491596_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenno64

Headed out this morning and couldn't find any poddies so after a couple of trolls with my usual flatty lures I picked up some pinkies and a 20cm trumpeter whiting which I kept for a bait. The wind blew up about 9am so we headed over to the leeward side of the river and tried a drift with some plastics. On the first drift we were being blown at about 5 knots and the livey line screams. After a few minutes, a good flatty came up strangled by the other line which was snagged on the bottom. I pedalled over to a beach to see if she was still OK but she was rolling upside down and battle scared so I kept her. She went 76cm and ended up feeding six of us tonight. After gutting plenty of good flatties and finding whiting in the gut, my theory paid off.

Are the Striped trumpeters any good for live bait?

NIce flattie, they are a sucker for live baits.

If the whitting were not really on the chew I'd chuck one out. Makes two fishfingers into a meal for six!

WHitting don't come off the hook because of their nice strong rubbery nose area, doesn't get eaten, it would later back at home.

Good one Rob

G

ps just thought of something, you yakkers need a fish craddle/ measurer on your crafts. Something like a piece of pipe cut in half length ways so the fish can lay in it without sliding around to much and have a measure sticker on the bottom of the pipe where the fish lies.

Edited by GregL