Port Hacking 29/11

monch

Went off to gunnamatta baths in the late arvo (5:30pm) for the evening tide change at around 7, hoping to get some fish. Mainly wanted to catch some livies and practice bridle rigging them. Schools of small yakkas, hardyheads and slimies were there. Caught a bunch of tiny 10cm slimies in no time and casted one out. Never seen them so small b4, usually only the 30cm models. Livie got mauled but didn't get a hookup, brought it in the check and its eyes were gone unusual... :wacko: .

Filleted the dead slimy and casted it out on the lighter rod and proceeded to catch a few undersize snapper. Meanwhile i rigged up a 15cm yakka and did a nice cast, leaving it there for a good 30mins. No touches so i brought it back in but found that the dam yakka had tangled itself somewhere somehow...had to break it off. Was starting to get late (8pm), sun had nearly set and couldn't be bothered re-rigging the big rod so casted a blade around.

After 3 or so casts, decided i was going to leave.... give it one last cast. Hop the blade 2 times.... felt a small touch, maybe a small snapper, decided to strike anyway. Felt good weight and zzzzzing the reel sounds, the fish realizes somethings not right. After 1 short and powerful run, i feel good solid headshakes, i gain a little bit of line but it goes off on another run, proceeded by more headshakes and then just sits there midwater, not giving an inch. By now i'm thinking this might be my first jewie, start getting excited but try to keep my cool. I maintain steady pressure and pump and wind, the fish comes up closer and gets its 2nd wind, goes off on a desperate blistering run so i back off the drag abit. After 5 or so more runs that were progressively getting weaker, the fish slowly emerges from the depths. Whoa its a nice flatty, i call it for 60cm. Now the dilemma of landing it from a height of about 2m+. I leave it about 1m below the surface, and slowly walk it towards shore, dodging other people's lines. After a good 100m walk and about 5mins, i get it to shore, jump over the railing and nearly stack it. Tried to heave it onto the beach but it was heavy and the beach was shallow. Knew i had it get it up in one quick motion otherwise it will do its dreaded headshakes. Dropped another good flattie once before, didn't want to do it again. However, walking the fish along the wharf for a good 5 mins let it revive somewhat and once i started trying to beach it, it tried to turn its head and hit the gas, after a few good thrashings in 10cm of water, i pulled it halfway outta the water but my line goes PING!. OMG!! i run towards the fish, trying to grab its tail, its still on land and sits there for a second or two but soon realizes that its free and with a few swishes of the tail, its gone ><!! That's what you get for using 8lb mono and no net.

Sigh, was thinking about releasing the fish but would have wanted to land it to formally to take a picture and call it a catch. Would have also wanted to get my $15 blade back :( I keep losing those dam things. I'm on an average of about 1 fish for every blade before i snag it somewhere.

Shame about the fish and the blade!!! There is always next time =D remember to bring the net next time, must have to be pretty long! Or next time, you could 'wrestle with the croc', if you're willing to get wet :biggrin2: might get you a feed and your $15 blade back.

Cheers,

Justin :1fishing1:

Shame about the fish and the blade!!! There is always next time =D remember to bring the net next time, must have to be pretty long! Or next time, you could 'wrestle with the croc', if you're willing to get wet :biggrin2: might get you a feed and your $15 blade back.

Cheers,

Justin :1fishing1:

sorry to hear about the lizard mate.

Dont mean to hijack your thread, but does anyone have any tips for fishing the port hacking?

Im gonna head out one night this week for a jew though i wouldnt know where to position myself.

Ive always fished the Georges and have done pretty well with some holes ive sounded out so im willing to trade spots if anyone is keen.

Cheers and chin up Monch- big flatty like that couldnt have got far!!