Dual Buoyancy Floats To Stabilize A Kayak

arpie

Hi all

A year or so ago, I found a US site showing a stabilizing method for yaks that seemed a good idea, but were a pain to put on! The straps went around the yak hull & therefore would fray when rubbed against oyster leases & rocks.

Makes your yak more buoyant

post-2231-1259578025_thumb.jpg

Incredibly stable

post-2231-1259578949_thumb.jpg

Will hopefully prevent surf rollovers

post-2231-1259578991_thumb.jpg

I really liked the idea of making the yak more stable, (especially whilst entering or exiting the surf), that also enabled me to stand up in the yak & sight cast, as my yak is the smallest in the series & not really designed for people to stand in! So I started thinking of ways of making them easier to put on. I figured I could use a pair of standard 'buoys' and attach them to the side of the yak using clips of some type. I chose a pair of blue ones with a hole right thru the centre, as they were the perfect size for the gap between the Hobie Paddle rests.

I also wanted to fit a Stakeout Pole (made from an old Ski Stock/pole), so figured it may as well become part of the Buoy stabilizing setup.

I bought some S/S stirrups to fit the width of the Stakeout Pole & lots of S/S self tapping screws. I also used metal (should have made them S/S also!! :( ) and/or rubber washers to increase the height of the stirrups when screwed on (to allow for the change of shape in the Hobie Yak sides.)

It is important to line up the Stakeout Pole stirrups so that the pole goes in straight. The stakeout pole is really only designed for shallow, slow moving water, not for deep, fast currents.

Stirrups set up for Stake Out Pole ..... the lower one is also used for the Stabilizing Buoy to attach to (front).

post-2231-1259579071_thumb.jpg

I used a smaller stirrup for the rear of the buoy.

post-2231-1259579149_thumb.jpg

The Buoy is clipped onto both front & rear stirrup (photo is showing the yak on its side.) The Stakeout pole is showing on the side of the yak (note the ski handle.)

Buoy in position

post-2231-1259579230_thumb.jpg

I am standing on the Hobie Sport, sight fishing. The Stakeout Pole holds me in position & the Buoy stabilizes me to enable me to stand up (see my foot!)

stakeout pole in position, with Buoy deployed

post-2231-1259579305_thumb.jpg

I have fitted the other Buoy on the left hand side of the yak as well, putting the 'stake out pole' fitting at the rear of the Buoy, so I have one stake-out fitting on both front & back - gives you a better choice depending on the run of the tide. Using the rear 'stake out pole setting' also allows you to use the handle to assist in standing up! An unexpected bonus!

Having tried it a few times now, I have confidence in the Buoy setup to both stabilize the yak to enable stand-up sight fishing & also prevent a capsize in the event of inclement weather/tides.

In the Hobie, when not in use, the Buoys can be clipped onto the rear bungy cords & then easily attached to the stirrups when required. My plan is to use them pretty much every time I go out!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Bill

It doesn't affect the tracking at all as they are 'only just' in the water. Perhaps if they were a bit deeper, it could affect it? In that case, just connect them to the rear stirrup & let them float as you go to your spot, then connect the front one when you want to stand - the stakeout pole will work anyway. You must make sure the stirrup is big enough to take both the stakeout pole and the clip. Adding another rubber washer would assist if it is too tight.

I have tried it without the ski pole in a quiet bay, but as our system is mostly tidal I got a little 'wobbly'. There is also the direction thing too - I guess you could use your foot to move the rudder lever if you are heading for structure? If I had fitted them a little lower again, I reckon it would be less wobbly. I must 'tighten up' the straps too, so they are as tight as can be, then there will be less flexing.

You can use any sized buoy too, so I reckon the bigger the buoy, the more stable again. I just wanted them to not interfere with the paddle holders especially when under way.

I will keep trying to stand up in different situations tho, but probably not in really deep water.

Cheerio

Roberta

Just had a thought - just having the 2 stakeout poles in the stirrups (without the buoys) would make it much more stable in shallow water - just store them on the spare paddle holder. You would have more control over the angle that you fish. With only the one pole, the tide still swings you round a bit - with 2, you'd pick the angle you want!

Edited by Roberta