Mooloolaba Offshore

Ken A

I headed out with Hookem Herby yesterday morning around 6.30 am in search of anything with fins but preferably a decent Mackerel or 3.

Conditions were great & it was nice to head offshore after having many aborted trips due to the wind.

Just offshore from Point Cartwright we found several big schools of small Mackerel Tuna around the 2 to 3 kilo mark feeding on the surface. It was quickly seen that the fish were on small bait so out came the bream gear :1naughty: Herby gave me first shot & a small white slug got scoffed first cast. The fish went hard & about 5 minutes later I landed a 55cm / 2.5 kilo mack Tuna. It was a nice fish on 4 pound fireline & 4 pound Yamatoyo leader.

Next it was Herbies shot & we hit another school & Herb scored another fish about the same size. We trolled around the area with larger lures hoping a Spanish Mackerel may have been in the area feeding on the little tunas but no joy there.

We moved down the coast to Caloundra & trolled some rigged pillies for zip then headed out to a new spot about 5 miles offshore. There were several commercial mackerel fisherman in the area so we knew we were in with a shot. Shortly after we started trolling Herbs bait got munched & a few minutes later we had a nice Spotted Mackerel at 96cm & 6 kilos in the boat on ice. Things went very slow after that & it was about another hour before we had a missed strike.

That was it for the day but it was nice to be offshore again & I'm sure we will go better next time. :biggrin2:

Heres a pic of a tuna school

post-1-1112662382_thumb.jpg

Here's Herby on a tuna with a school visible in the background

post-1-1112662443_thumb.jpg

Herby & his Spotted Mackerel

post-1-1112662491_thumb.jpg

It was a nice fish on 4 pound fireline & 4 pound Yamatoyo leader.

That's gotta be a gee up there Ken. :074: Hoping for a bream or two were we? :biggrin2:

Great pics and it looks like great conditions as well. :thumbup:

Hopefully Forster will give you some great fishing in the future. :beersmile:

cheers

Hooky

No gee up Hooky at all. Herby has some pics to prove that I do use bream tackle on tuna :biggrin2: I grabbed my "visitor" bream rod & tossed a small slug on it & took it. Always nice to have a rod on board for tossing tiny stuff at tuna offshore & many a day a light outfit like that has provided bait when heavier tackle has failed as well as providing good sport.

Its also a good way to test leader material ,knots & drag sytems. If they can handle 2 & 3 kilo tuna then it will be fine for breambos. Thats my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

I must admit though I love taking small tunas on light tackle & I miss the Striped Tuna up here. Macks go OK but Stripeys rock :biggrin2:

No gee up Hooky at all. Herby has some pics to prove that I do use bream tackle on tuna  :biggrin2: I grabbed my "visitor" bream rod & tossed a small slug on it & took it. Always nice to have a rod on board for tossing tiny stuff at tuna offshore & many a day a light outfit like that has provided bait when heavier tackle has failed as well as providing good sport.

Its also a good way to test leader material ,knots & drag sytems. If they can handle 2 & 3 kilo tuna then it will be fine for breambos. Thats my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

I must admit though I love taking small tunas on light tackle & I miss the Striped Tuna up here. Macks go OK but Stripeys rock  :biggrin2:

40688[/snapback]

It all makes sense to me Ken.

Myself and the boys are slowly working our way outside for some different types of fishing and it's always good to know the reasons behind what's on a boat eg tackle, rods etc and why. :1fishing1: