Savage Avenger

deano2233

hi Raiders i was thinking of buying:

boat is a savage avenger with a 75 hp mercury 1986 motor which was rebuilt last year also re cond gear box all is going very well.

top speed gets up around 46 MPH(74KPH) & gets there very fast, great for skiing or pulling a tube

starts first go

It has been fitted with ski pole, new gauges, lights, bilge pump, compos, submersible LED lights on trailer work great & new front windscreen on boat. Plus many extras

only thing needs a new seat & a polish.

i will be transforming it into a fishing boat, it looks in good cond the trailer looks good and there is no rot in the boat, i love the oldschool look it has and was thinking of doing some work to it like a paint job and installing fishing gadgets (fishfinder, live well, rod holders) and new carpet and some nice swivel seats (currently it has one bench seat that is not visually appealing) the price is set at 3k, and i am getting it from a family friend because they are upgrading. what do you raiders think? at 3k good value or a bit pricey? it has potential? does anyone own a savage avenger what do they think of the boat in general? im a bit hesitant to buy a boat older than i am but at the same time love the oldschool factor.

Thanks in Advance

Deano

Hi 5 Star,

My first boat was a Savage Avenger. A great little boat. We used it for water skiing and fishing. We would take it outside fishing around 5 kilometre off shore. I loved this boat.

But that was 30 years ago. The original Avengers were built around the early 70s.

The boat you are looking at has already been modified as the Avengers came out with 2 back to back bucket sits. You would sit on top of the seat to drive it for better vision.

Another problem the Avengers had, and most of the Savage fibreglass boats built around that time, was the tendancy to put the nose very high in the air whilst getting onto the plane. We helped manage this a bit by carrying the spare fuel, etc in the nose of the boat.

As far as water skiing went, they are under powered. Mine would pull a single skier out of the water but the skier would need to be very experienced and willing to be dragged through the water for a long period of time before standing up.

The original Avenger was only rated to a maximum 70hp.

Although I think they are a great little boat I would be a bit worried in regards to its age.

My personal opinion: great little boat but these days there are certainly a lot better around.

By the way I sold mine 25 years ago for $2,500.00

If theboat is as sound as you say it is enjoy yourself.You will iearn a great deal from it.

Just make sure its what you want to use it for.I wouldn`t spend too much money on it

If thats what your going to do I say keep looking.

I would also be worried about the age but they were built solid.

Good luck.