Wisemans Last Weekend

Berleyguts

Last weekend, I stayed at Wisemans Ferry and it was nice to be able to take my own boat out and fish, rather than try and ski behind my mate's!

Thanks to Pete (Tide'n'Knots) I had no problem finding the spot at the wind sock... only trouble was, when I got there at about 5:30pm Friday there were already about 4 boats, not right on the mark but all around it so I couldn't drop the pick exactly where I wanted to. I fished until about 8:15pm.. as it got dark it started to look really fishy with bait everywhere. Had to leave to get back to the van for dinner and drinks with the :wife: and friends who drove down after me. I caught an undersize flathead and a 25cm bream on Hawkesbury prawns - both released - and I hooked a legal flathead on a SP (Gulp 4" minnow - smelt) but the hook pulled at the boat.

Saturday morning I took the wife to the same spot. We slept in a bit so didn't get there until nearly 7am and there were already 5 boats there. Again, nothing of any size, a few small flathead, but enough bites to keep my wife interested soaking her prawns. I soaked a whole Hawkesbury squid on a two hook rig, while I flicked SPs around. I haven't had much faith in SPs but two small flathead and a 35cm soapy (first jew on a lure!) now has me convinced that they work, so I'll be putting a concerted effort with SPs in the future in the hope to snare some decent sized fish.

We also trolled some HBs along some mangroves in about 3m but only jagged a tiny flounder.

Saturday afternoon, I fished Dad's Corner and nearby for a few hits on SPs but no result.

Sunday morning I headed up into Webbs Creek hoping for a bass or two. No luck but geez it's nice and peaceful up there! :)

post-8460-1259796951_thumb.jpg

post-8460-1259796981_thumb.jpg

post-8460-1259797006_thumb.jpg

There was a lot of mullet about so after a lunch I ducked into the creek again and berleyed with bread hoping to get a few poddies as I'd had trouble getting any in the trap. They showed a lot of interest but I only caught one 15cm poddy and a 30cm yellow-eye mullet.

A boat passed me from upstream with some very happy blokes on board who proudly held up a brace of absolute lunker bass.

The poddy went out live at the mouth of the Macdonald River. Didn't get a hit so he was frozen with the 30cm mullet for bait. Lost another legal flathead at the boat on a SP and lost half a SP to a tailor.

I am happy that I am getting a few hits at least, in an area & river system that is unfamiliar to me but that I will be fishing a lot from now on. Thanks to Pete, I have found a good spot and just have to get the time and tide right, I'm sure!

Love those SPs! 3" and 4" Gulp seemed to work best in Smelt and Nuclear Chicken. I also had some hits on a gold Squidgy.

Not much of a report but I hope I'll have something worthwhile soon.

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Good for you! Not bad effort. Nice pics too. Guess you have to wake up earlier and got there first before all the boats. Early worms get the fish right?

Guess so! I timed it for the tide and was on the water before all the ski boats at least. One boat had anchored there all night.

Cheers,

Baz

Hi Burleyguts, you'll find that just about all the creeks in the Hawkesbury are deeper around the mouth, give the mouth areas and just back from the corners a go for jew when the tide turns to run back in around 1 am at night, with a bit of luck the eel schools will be already in there...

Baz, you've got it made having a place up that way, that's for sure and you only need to travel a few miles down river to get home again on sun up, that's all you need mate plus a run in tide to get you the best out of that area..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

well done baz at least you are starting to get some fish now even if they are small, stick with it and as you learn more about the area, what, where and when, your results will improve! there are some very good fish in that area at times and its only a matter of time before you get one!

pete.

Now those photo's make me miss my SKeeters and EP fishing.

FIsh the rock bars with plastics on a little gold spinner on it and also the submerged snag sitting oppisite the mouth of the Mac Donald just up stream of the punt.

Last trip staying in one of the holiday houses down on Bar Point, the run up to that snag took us just over 45mins and a near full tank of gas for the return trip! :1yikes:

74mph in the middle of winter in a bass boat really wakes you up no matter how many layers you have on :frozen:

Beautiful area tho but for a person that lives very close to the city, them birds sure make a racket and bloody early to! :074:

Greg

Sounds like you were really having fun - getting small ones is better than getting none!! Hey! I am a poet & didn't know it!! :074::074:

It is a magic spot, fish or not - I'd be ducking up that river where the guys came back with all the bass!!! :1yikes:

Roberta