Avoca Rocks

Ray R

Hi Raiders, gotta call for Pete (mercer007) to let me know that he was going for a fish around the rocks,

I told I will be around later around 3 or so. Anyway being inquisitive I decided to give him a call at 1:30

and he said he was into the salmon, a big school of the things were busting up in front of him and he

spun up 6-7 of them. I was finally around there about 3:30, rigged up a trusty paternoster rig and gave

it a heave out past the reef, this was a tad difficult today due to the onshore winds so the casts fell a bit

short of the target area, anyway while the bottom rig was poised ready for action I had a few spins to

see if the salmon were still about , well after a few casts I was on, nice salmon and after a short tussle he

shook the trebles free at the edge, that was fun so I did it a couple of more times for the same result.

Gave the salmon a rest and concentrated on a bream or two, I baited up with a fresh lake prawn and

sat and waited , finger on the trigger this time, felt some faint litttle taps and then the line loaded and

I struck, it was a nice bream. So out when another prawn and as I'm getting set Pete strikes and he

scores a tarwhine so we both had a fish.

Well that was about it, a couple of small reds and a stingaree later it was time to go, the wind was

making it very hard now so we packed up and went.

So it was a good arvo around the rocks , always a pleasent way to spent a few hours..

post-3371-1259867999_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1259868023_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1259868056_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1259868106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R

Top looking spot there Ray. Judging by the white horses it must have been hard casting into that onshore breeze. Always a problem on the rocks or beach.

Good bream and tarwhine for you and Pete and salmon are always fun to catch. :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

.........I had a few spins to see if the salmon were still about , well after a few casts I was on, nice salmon and after a short tussle he shook the trebles free at the edge, that was fun so I did it a couple of more times for the same result........

..........................................................................................................................................................

Hi Pete, Hi Ray....For soft mouthed fish and head shakers like salmon take a look at these D hooks.. they have longer barbs on them and unlike a single hook or the single in a trebble that tears the flesh in soft mouthed hook shakers, one of the these D hooks pulls in tighter usually slips against bone and counteracts the side movement of the other..

post-829-1259879302_thumb.jpg

I struck, it was a nice bream. So out when another prawn and as I'm getting set Pete strikes and he

.........................................................................................................................................................

Anyway fellas, good work having a go up at Avoca yesterday and getting yourselves into some good take home Bream and Tarwhine on what was not the sort of day to be overkeen on going fishing at all, particularly off the beach or the rocks and even so by starting off around the middle of the day well into the middle half of a run out tide basically during summer weather anyway, the worst time and the worst tide possible to start off a session as you would know yourselves particularly you Ray, being restricted by times most of the time these days, as you generally have pick your own tides and times which not necessarily best suit the conditions of the day...

Still the good thing or the post mortem about yesterday's session, for the next similiar situation, you could call it incidental timing this time if you like, was the fact that, as is the case right now, there was 2 meter tide, near enough to a king tide up there yesterday morning which would have started to ease out slowly around 10am or so.... thus the 1.30pm start by Peter would have been the time to be there due to the big tide and the onshore wind, otherwise, had you got there any earlier, you would have too much land and not enough good water to cast into during that part of the run out of what was near enough to a king tide anyway...

The salmon would have been held in close for longer than usual by the onshore wind at the same time as the tide run and likewise the other fish....the tide would have started running back in by 4.30 pm, the new wind did not change, only became gustier... An evening session up there as a run in tide picks up with an on shore wind in your face picking up as well might be a good point to remember from now on when particularly when the weather warms up during the day following mild conditions like yesterday evening was to be, whether there be big tides or not..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

.........I had a few spins to see if the salmon were still about , well after a few casts I was on, nice salmon and after a short tussle he shook the trebles free at the edge, that was fun so I did it a couple of more times for the same result........

..........................................................................................................................................................

Hi Pete, Hi Ray....For soft mouthed fish and head shakers like salmon take a look at these D hooks.. they have longer barbs on them and unlike a single hook or the single in a trebble that tears the flesh in soft mouthed hook shakers, one of the these D hooks pulls in tighter usually slips against bone and counteracts the side movement of the other..

post-829-1259879302_thumb.jpg

.........................................................................................................................................................

Anyway fellas, good work having a go up at Avoca yesterday and getting yourselves into some good take home Bream and Tarwhine on what was not the sort of day to be overkeen on going fishing at all, particularly off the beach or the rocks and even so by starting off around the middle of the day well into the middle half of a run out tide basically during summer weather anyway, the worst time and the worst tide possible to start off a session as you would know yourselves particularly you Ray, being restricted by times most of the time these days, as you generally have pick your own tides and times which not necessarily best suit the conditions of the day...

Still the good thing or the post mortem about yesterday's session, for the next similiar situation, you could call it incidental timing this time if you like, was the fact that, as is the case right now, there was 2 meter tide, near enough to a king tide up there yesterday morning which would have started to ease out slowly around 10am or so.... thus the 1.30pm start by Peter would have been the time to be there due to the big tide and the onshore wind, otherwise, had you got there any earlier, you would have too much land and not enough good water to cast into during that part of the run out of what was near enough to a king tide anyway...

The salmon would have been held in close for longer than usual by the onshore wind at the same time as the tide run and likewise the other fish....the tide would have started running back in by 4.30 pm, the new wind did not change, only became gustier... An evening session up there as a run in tide picks up with an on shore wind in your face picking up as well might be a good point to remember from now on when particularly when the weather warms up during the day following mild conditions like yesterday evening was to be, whether there be big tides or not..

Cheers

Very interesting, Jewgaffer, never seen those before. Where do ya get 'em??

Tuffy

most cast 65 to 85 grams ,they think you need the weight to get the distance ,40 grams on well set rod will get all the distance and fish .

Very intesting comment, I think you're quite right customcasting by scaling the weight down and so does my mate who's with me at this moment.. he says if you compare the principle of direct contact transferred from line to hook for example with no sinker or lure weight at all and keep even pressure on when necessary and adding a little slack for freedom of movement, the less side to side throw hook throwers can give you..

As you would be aware, years ago it was not a case of how many salmon could be caught but it was a case of how many could be landed and nowadays the multitude of little gillies number 7's that are used up the far north certainly adds emphasis to your comments...

Cheers