Botany King 5th Dec

quangvo1989

Good weekends forum.

Got to the boat ramp at 5:00 and tried to catch a few squid near Henry Head, we ended up with only one. Then started fishing the container wall with no bite whatsoever. Changed our plan to drift for flathead around Kurnell and were constantly catching only little snappers.

Returned to the container wall during high tide. Some bait schools could be located on the sounder as we fished the tide change, the kings went on the bite for around half an hour and in total we caught 2 rats and one legal fish. A friend on another boat caught one just legal fish.

4158993299_df0c2205e4_o.jpg

My first king of the season, went 71cm and I cannot be any happier catching it on my new Baitrunner 8000D :biggrin2:

Great morning on the bay with beautiful weather, hopefully the fishing will keep getting better towards mid summer.

ps Has anyone noticed the new maritime jet skis? They were working hard today ^^

*a lil'update*

post-8486-1260051463_thumb.jpg

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Hi Tan

The kings are perfect for sashimi at this time of the year, the meat is smooth pink with some tasty fat.

I have used the reel only twice, so durability is still the question. However I cannot see any reasons why it would not be as tough as the old baitrunner, aside from the paint job ( but hey, it looks a lot better ^ ^)

Weight wise, it is a tad lighter but barely noticeable (the difference is listed on the box). You can find it much cheaper on the online auction site (somehow I cannot type eb*y here) from the US, around $230 includes express shipping. I like the new design and new carbon fiber drag material, it is also more braid friendly with a very even line lay, the deep and narrow spool remains the same and may not be suitable for long casts though but that should not be much of a problem if you use braid.

Cheers

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Nice report there mate, very clear, concise and informative.

Good review on that new baitrunner as well, i bought the old one recently, was tossing up between the new D series and the B series. Couldn't wait for the D to come out and went with the older one. The big improvement i think is the better line lay for braid and possibly the new drag washers.

Very nice kingy as well, looks bigger than 71cm.

Keep the reports coming :thumbup:

Thanks for all the positive feed-backs. I just had a beautiful dinner with kingfish sashimi and carpaccio and still have the other fillet left for tomorrow.

To welst:

As we had only 1 squid, I could not use the whole squid live and cut it into long strips. I always use a simple running sinker rig with a ball sinker above a swivel and about 1m of leader, keep the sinker as light as possible depends on the condition and use good quality swivel. When the fish are pressured a longer leader may help.

To monch:

Completely agree with you about the baitrunner. I have always wanted to get one but was concerned about the line lay, saw the new reel on a tackle news website and could not resist anymore. A shop keeper at fishouttawater sydney was kind enough to let me have a look at the drag washers, seeing they are the same as the carbontex washers that sell for around $20 a set here I was sold and ordered mine straight away.

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Well done mate :)

Im hoping to get one legal King tomorrow in the harbour :yahoo:

btw what boat do you have ? looks like a good boat, were looking at buying a new boat next year so im looking around haha

Edited by cut_loose

Well done pal and a great post filled with use full info...

I'm chasing my first kingie but I am landbased but somehow I know it will happen just a matter of when...

I guess the advantage of the boat is all the equipment and being able to locate the fish on the gps and check the depth with the sounder My older brother is very keen to buy a Boat might have to go halves with him..

Sounds like a great day out and a great result also... Nice King.

By the way what are they like on the table and do you have any special way of cooking them as I'm not a real fan of sasimi....

Regards,

Nathan

Well done pal and a great post filled with use full info...

I'm chasing my first kingie but I am landbased but somehow I know it will happen just a matter of when...

I guess the advantage of the boat is all the equipment and being able to locate the fish on the gps and check the depth with the sounder My older brother is very keen to buy a Boat might have to go halves with him..

Sounds like a great day out and a great result also... Nice King.

By the way what are they like on the table and do you have any special way of cooking them as I'm not a real fan of sasimi....

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan :biggrin2:

It is definitely an advantage to fish for kingies from a boat, if your brother is looking for one then go for it and halves it with him, that way you both save and IMO its always better to have good company while fishing.

I am sure you will catch one fishing landbased sooner or later, even a rat is great fun off the rocks.

As a table fish, kingfish is pink flesh and somewhat "crunchy" with a sweet taste raw, cooked they are no match for fish such as snapper or leather jacket as the meat is strong flavored. A simple marinade with some lemon juice and straight on the bbq is the best way to cook them in my book, try not to over cook it or mask the fresh flavor with too much seasoning.

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Very close Hazza, it is actually a 4.55m Quintrex Freedom Sport bowrider. My uncle has owned the boat for a few years and it is an incredibly stable fishing platform. The new model starts from 4.7m.

Cheers

Hi

I have a Quintrex Sports 475, and wondering where you take the boat?

The furthest I have been, was just off the south head. I have a 60HP 4 stroke on the back.

Hi cameldownunder,

The furthest we took the boat out was about 2/3 of the way to Port Hacking and up north to Long Bay. I think it is all about checking the conditions, plan your trip carefully and make sure you have all the required safety equipments. The boat is very stable and we were able to return to the boat ramp safely when fishing Jervis Bay and the weather turned bad without any indications.

Thanks for the compliment erroll :biggrin2: