Botany Bay - This Time Last Year

Keflapod

Hi Raiders,

It's been a while since I fished a Sunday but I needed my weekend holiday on the bay so I decided to have a go. On the anchor at 5:30am and waiting for my first bite, and waiting and waiting.....

Well things were so peaceful, I must have been resting in peace ! The place was DEAD !

What happened? The tide was falling, reached low and began rising - still DEAD.

By about 8:00am, I had no fish (except two thumper bream that swam into kelp and busted me off),

so I decided to go to another spot I haven't been to since last summer.

Found a few bream there but I also found the dreaded brown algal weed.

Looking at my records of last December, it was then that the weed infestation made the fishing so hard.

But in December 2007, I have no record of it....

There wasn't a lot of it but just enough to cover the bait...

I'm thinking what might have caused the bream to stop biting during the early hours. Was it the fact we just had a full moon a couple of days ago? Often I get mixed results just after a full moon. Was it the fact the water was warmer on the last of the runout than the run in tide (ie the ocean water is cooler and slowed the betabolism down?) or maybe the weed infestation is covering the bait so fast fish can't find it and won't take it if it has the weed on it bcos it's toxic to fish or something? - questions, questions - we'll never know the answers - not even the all-knowing internet or Wikipedia can tell us !

Anyway at 10:30 I decided I would better spend my time chasing the whiting that have been around.

I went to the whiting grounds and was pleasantly surprised when the first rod buckled over to the first fish, a lovely 42cm fish. There was also a multitude of 26cm tarwhine. The tarwhine all went back, so did several 29cm snapper. If only they were just 1cm bigger !

The wind got up by about 11:30 or so which bothered me a bit, as it would make raising the anchor a difficult task in my 5.7m platey, on my own.

I packed it up at 12:30 and left them biting, even though I still had some bait.

Final tally was a meagre 4 bream but 11 nice whiting from 34cm to 42cm.

Funny thing the Greek parents...

My mum and dad came over unannounced on Sunday arvo, relieved me of the bream and half the whiting.... That's OK - I would have given them the fish anyway...

Also, out of left field, I recently increased my PB on tarwhine - it's now up to 40cm. These things pull better than bream, with lots of short fast powerful runs, just like whiting, only more sustained...

Cheers

Keflapod

post-3021-1260190445_thumb.jpg

post-3021-1260190461_thumb.jpg

keflapodia you should have worn the pink thongs!! maybe you would have caught more fish :074:

well done on the whiting mate, they look great, Ive polished myne off allready

Ps, I saw you in your boat and was admiring it, great boat mate.

you will never gues what we were in.

Edited by Groper

Hi Raiders,

.......Well things were so peaceful, I must have been resting in peace ! The place was DEAD !

.......What happened? The tide was falling, reached low and began rising - still DEAD.

.......I'm thinking what might have caused the bream to stop biting during the early hours.

Was it the fact we just had a full moon a couple of days ago? Often I get mixed results just after a full moon.

.........Was it the fact the water was warmer on the last of the runout than the run in tide (ie the ocean water is cooler and slowed the betabolism down?) - questions, questions - we'll never know the answers - not even the all-knowing internet or Wikipedia can tell us !

........Cheers

Keflapod

That's a good question Chris in regard to why the general bite was off in the very early morning on Sunday as you say... One might well ask- how could the the activity be so dead at any given time compared to the day before the Saturday, the first day after the change relief to the east which brought on a 7 point rise in the barometer - which by the way could actually be felt in the air around midday in the west- once the morning had settled from the overnight warmth making the results for the rest of the day according to tide preference for the species of fish i.e. the run in tide for whiting and tarwhine.... So Saturday can be regarded with confidence as being the start of a new cycle i.e. a binge feed day which naturally peters off as the conditions go on and so on.... But then again the species overall will still tend to maintain their own tidal habits and preferences as most fishermen know..... On Saturday most of our members found it to be a motza of a day all over Sydney. But then again, given there would have been only about an hours difference contained within your own Sunday early am times Chris, I wonder how many of those Saturday fishermen did well during that part of the run out tide?

You'll never know I guess unless you see mention of the actual hook up times in their report so others members can make a note of it for next time and for their own benefit rather than going off memory when more than likely many would not be even sure of what the tide was doing in the area they themselves were fishing particularly when tide charts are contradicted by conditions in the surroundings etc and other factors such as tidal delays upriver as no one uses a measuring stick out in front of their waterfront property or on the shoreline at their favourite upriver spot these days..

As far as the weed goes you were experienced enough to move to another area or fish at a different temperature or another part of the water column and managed to get the top results on whiting bream and tarwhine as you did without a lot of difficulty and this only comes with repetiveness and experience which takses years of hit and misses to absorb...Whereas later in the tide - if one can assume that - most of our members found Saturday to be a motza of a day all over Sydney including some who are so inexperienced that they tie a fishing knot just like you and I would tie a windsor knot in a bow tie so to speak...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: