Balmoral 09/12/09

paulthetaffy

Early session at Balmoral this morning. Got there at 5:30 to find a few guys there squidding but no other lines in the water. Quickly got the yakkas burleyed up and the first one into the bucket. Sent him out only to have him eaten by a bird with 10 seconds. Second yakka out again gets nailed by a bird. So I fed them a few pieces of old pillie and they moved on.

Third yakka out stays quiet for 2 minutes and then the bait runner screams, I flick it off, set the hook and I'm on. Easy to tell that it's a king just by the way they run so relentlessly and strip line against the drag. After the first run I managed to gain line and started bringing it in towards the wharf. 10m out it hits the surface, sees me, turns, and makes another surging run, strips a few more yards of line, only this time my line gives way :(

Turns out the mainline snapped on the knot to the swivel. I use 20lb mainline which I know some will argue is too light but I think is ample for the usual size of kings we get in close at MH, especially with a good 40lb leader. Very dissapointed as I had the drag well adjusted and I've not had problems with knots recently. Might have to work on that. Hard to tell the size of the fish but it looked and felt big enough to be legal.

Next yakka out gets attention after a few minutes and get's squidded, as does the next 5 minutes later, and then it goes quiet. I thought about getting the squid jig out but I wanted to load up on yakkas while they were there in numbers.

The guys squidding, after realising the kings were around, set up their heavy gear and out go a handful more livies but it's all pretty quiet. By 7:30 I'm convinced it's too late in the day for the kings but one of the other guys rods zinged off. Turned out to be a nice flatty - not measured but well above legal - but low and behold it is followed all the way to the wharf by a pack of kings!

The kings hung around for another hour or so occasionally darting into the school of yakkas and whitebait for a feed but we couldn't tempt them no matter what we tried.

Lots of tailor caught this morning too - many as by catch on tiny hooks and tiny baits as we collected yakkas!! - a couple just over legal too.

I managed a small flatty which I gave to the other guys as a thank-you for letting me use their bait bucket as my aerator pump broke down.

Not a bad morning really and encouraging (for land-based fisho's) that the kings are moving into the shallow water around the wharves now.

Paul

Taffy, it's surprising what one is likely catch in the little v section where the wharf meets those baths there before sun up ay, could be hard to keep a decent size fish out of the wire tho.. also worth a thought is out in front of the outlet pipe off the beach on the left of Balmoral right on the bottom of the tide on weekdays when everything else has vamoused..

I suppose you did plenty off freshwater fishing in Wales too starting from when you were quite young ay

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Yeah agree about that little section between the wharf and the baths. There was an old boy there this morning pulling up tailor out of there. And when the conditions are right the salmon go nuts right under the wharf :)

I rarely fish the beach at balmoral any more due to the swimmers and beach goers. I used to but had a few run-in's with the local swimming brigade and I find it's just not worth it now. Shame as there are some cracking fish all along that section from the outlet pipe to the middle island rocks. I've snorkelled there many times and have seen plenty of bream, good size whiting, flatty's, rays, shovel nose sharks, etc at all times of the day and tide, and more often than not right under people swimming just 10-20 yards out.

And yes grew up with freshwater fishing in the UK - mostly very different to fishing here but there are techniques that carry over, and a few tricks that I've brought with me and adapted to work here :)

Still can't quite understand why everyone has reel handles on the right here though :) Surely you hold your rod in your right hand when you cast and wind with your left!!! :)

I've caught Bonito and Taylor at the warf when baitfish come to the beach and I've caught plenty of Bream, Trev's, Flatties but never have I seen Kings coming in, maybe there are after all the yakkas hanging around. Must have been a sight!

Sounds like a good session Paul.

I hear you on the handle thing mate :thumbup: I have lost count of the number of aussies i have had arguments with about the merits of winding with your left hand!

Surely when you are on a good/big fish you want to hold the rod with your strongest arm? Funny thing is - when you watch a lot of the people over here, they actually swap hands, they hold the rod with their right hand and then swap to hold with their left to wind it in. Why??

Frustrating thing is that you can get very few OH reels in left hand models.

Better luck next time at Balmoral.

Cheers

Jim

Man its going to be pack this weekend!

I know, it's always a dilemma whether or not to post a positive report about a specific spot. Truth is though it's always busy down there on summer weekends, which is why I never go there then. I find no satisfaction from fishing a foot from the next rod with lines going everywhere so I'll be trying to find somewhere a bit quieter!

Paul